Options

Going for it going to ask about pushing my salary to a fair equal to other new NOCs..

eLseLs Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
hey guys just letting you know that I will be having a talk with HR on raising my salary to a fair comparison to the other new NOCs that started same time as I did. Sadly I found out in the first week Im underpaid by 5000 compared to the others whom are same as me. Bachelors and limited experience if anything Im more experienced in general.

Its been bugging me everyday coming to work and even though im grateful for the job i dont like to feel inferior like this unless others were better but not. If it was same pay for us new guys no problem but having this big gap is affecting me mentally and I have to at least talk. I hope the worst happens is a NO and I dont get fired for just asking.

I also took the worst shift which is overnight which from the sounds of it nobody wants to do it and felt relieved they found someone for it while the other other new guys got the easy shift. I didnt mind taking figured i get paid a bit more for it from what i felt it was happening but i was dead wrong.

I just want to know if i mention the job posting that stated how much the new nocs do get pay and feel i was misled when i came here and put down a salary range will it help my case? I know its wrong to mention names and also that i know how much others get paid but im lost to what else to say besides i feel im worth more and want to be compensated fairly amongst my nocs. I like the environment and job but just need to not feel underpaid so heavily.

I know someone is leaving which is making them be heavily understaffed which might make it more favorable in discussing my concerns. Now am I destroying myself for just having a talk with HR?

Btw its the start of my third week. Will hopefully read some answers before I asked tomorrow and pray something good comes out of it. If i were to be paid fairly like the new NOCs then I proudly be here for a while doing the bad shift but right now it is affecting me.
Bachelor of Science: Computer Information Systems
2014 Goals: Solarwinds Certified Professional (SCP), Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).

Comments

• Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    personally wouldn't bring it up till after your probation period. I think its in bad taste to be three weeks in and already asking for a raise. It sucks that other people are getting paid more but that the way life is sometimes. I say tough it out, prove your worth and then bring it up when its time for a review.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    eLs wrote: »
    I just want to know if i mention the job posting that stated how much the new nocs do get pay and feel i was misled when i came here and put down a salary range will it help my case?
    Is your pay on-target for the industry average in your area and your skillset? If no, you don't have to worry about rocking the boat, because if they don't take corrective action, you go elsewhere. If yes, you don't have much leverage.
    I also took the worst shift which is overnight which from the sounds of it nobody wants to do it and felt relieved they found someone for it
    If you were already doing a better shift, why did you volunteer for a worse shift without additional compensation? Is this perhaps key to your dissatisfaction, feeling you're giving too much relative to your pay? Consider telling them the overnight shift isn't working out well for you and you'd like to return to a normal schedule. If they counter that nobody else is volunteering to take that up, propose rotating the worst shift or providing extra compensation for it, which gets you what you wanted in the first place.

I'd certainly avoid negative terms like "misled". You knew what you were offered and what the job was and you accepted the deal. What others made doesn't affect whether accepting that offer was good or bad for you.
    Btw its the start of my third week.
    I missed this on my first read through. Seriously? You felt the salary was fair for the work and three weeks later you're complaining?! Unless your pay is below the industry average, as snunez says, prove your worth and bonuses/raises will follow.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    snunez889 wrote: »
    personally wouldn't bring it up till after your probation period. I think its in bad taste to be three weeks in and already asking for a raise. It sucks that other people are getting paid more but that the way life is sometimes. I say tough it out, prove your worth and then bring it up when its time for a review.

I strongly agree here, it would probably be best to wait until your probation ends and it is certain they want you to stay. However, after that is established, it is fair to ask this question, since people who have the same experience/qualifications are getting more.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    Maybe the other employees were better at negotiating their salary. Did you negotiate your salary? 3 weeks in is honestly a pretty short time to feel the way you do... also taking one bad shift doesn't justify a raise. If you do that for a whole year, then it would.
  • Options
    alright i guess you have a point... i thought if i wait until after probation period i will definitely not get the fair equal.

I live in nyc so im getting paid below average for an entry level noc position. the pay they usually give noc is at the average point and is what everyone got. my mistake was that i put in what was the number but it was typo. since i put it down on the salary box they just took it without saying we pay this normally for our nocs.

im at 37,000 they are at 42,000 (for nyc bachelor degree it is below average) we all have bachelors degree in IT. Limited experience in noc environment but i had more years in tech support. All the senior guys have already said they dont do annual raises or anything of that sort. What you came in with is what you will have unless you change roles and that is rare.

now everyone gets the paid the number the company is willing to pay but i was the unlucky one to get an job posting with a typo. I didnt want to lose out since i was desperate at the time but now finding out it blows.

day before first day of work i started to get calls from other jobs about coming in but i told them i already got a job. now i see it was a dumb move and sucks that jobs call in when you get taken already.

i dont want to seem like a job hopper so i was going to mention that as a talk. but now im worried that they will fire me on the spot for at least professionally discussing my concerns behind closed doors.
    2014 Goals: Solarwinds Certified Professional (SCP), Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    snunez889 wrote: »
    I say tough it out, prove your worth and then bring it up when its time for a review.

Absolutely agree.

@op Its a bit in bad taste and could put you in a bad light. You accepted the position in good faith at the salary. It would question your judgement and decisioning.

Also, HR is not who you should talk with - its your management. HR doesn't control salaries - your boss does.
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How did you come by this information that you are underpaid by 5000? Typically discussing your salary with co-workers is heavily frowned upon and could even be grounds for termination for exactly this sort of reason.

Employee A makes more than Employee B who makes more than Employee C. B & C both feel cheated even if we're only talking about a few dollars a week difference. It raises discord and discontent which lowers morale.

It sounds like you're early in your career, you'll find there are times you make more than your peers and times you make less... and significantly so... Right now, 5000 might seem like a lot and on a percentage basis maybe it is but in the grand scheme of things its not and it wont be the largest difference you'll see with you on top or bottom.

All that being said, as others have already said, you're only 3 weeks into the job so keep your mouth shut. You accepted the offer, you accepted less than you could have gotten, you didnt do the research on what the position could/should have paid, you short changed yourself, whatever... bottom line is its on you, its your mistake, not the company's. You have to own it. Own it and learn from it and dont let it happen again.

If you really really want to push your luck, wait till you've been there at least 6 months. Even then push for the raise on merit not because its what others are getting.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It's your third week and you are asking for a raise? It's a little soon for that. You accepted the position and the pay. Either work it or find a new job.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    No your right im not going to do it it is my fault for not researching about it. ill do my time for a bit and then speak to my manager in a couple of months. ill be happy im at least employed and not working minimum wage. do my best working and just keep studying for my ccna.

thanks for the replies i guess its real life and aint professional what i was going to do. one thing for sure i learn my lesson and will not let this happen again.

thank you
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get some experience and move on.icon_cheers.gif
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Even though it sounds like you're not going to bring this up now, I would advise against doing so as you've planned for the future. Your salary was agreed upon by both you and the company when you were hired. If you want to ask for an increase(in the future, not after 3 weeks), then do so by making a case with the value that you bring to the company, your accomplishments and increased knowledge from when you started. Salary isn't a competition among your peers and the truth is you don't know the company's reason behind paying the others more. Bringing this up to management is likely to only make you look bad for discussing salary with your peers and adjusting your self-worth based on others.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You mentioned a job posting which showed the salary range, if you are using that later as a point of negotiation that should be fine. If you just say, "I talked to everyone else and they told me what they made" I would totally avoid that. In most companies (and with most people) it is totally frowned upon to discuss how much you are getting paid.

I learned that lesson the hard way as a teenager when I mentioned what I was being paid to a coworker and she ran right to the owner and complained she wasn't being paid as much. The owner had to pull me aside and explain how I work a lot harder, she's borderline being fired already, etc. There are sometimes reasons people get paid more, many times they just ask for more when they get hired.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You just learned a valuable lesson in salary negotiations. Get what you can up front, cause you probably aren't getting it later. What's more, you claim you put in a salary requirement with a "typo" but when they came back and offered you a salary, you didn't try to correct it then. Don't be so passive next time.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get some experience and move on.icon_cheers.gif

This is good advice.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You just learned a valuable lesson in salary negotiations. Get what you can up front, cause you probably aren't getting it later. What's more, you claim you put in a salary requirement with a "typo" but when they came back and offered you a salary, you didn't try to correct it then. Don't be so passive next time.

This!

Also, same job != same value. Certs, education, interview / negotiation skills, etc all determine how much one can squeeze from the HR orange. Once you enter the systems/admin side of things expect this to be the case.
  • Options
    Didnt go thru with it and i feel better now just got to keep my eyes on the prize. I also learned what one should do and not before signing a offer letter.

I will take this like a stepping stone to my future goal. Just got to stay focused.

Thank you...

Funny thing one of the new guys quit without 2 week notice just came in said i found a better opportunity and gave in his ID.

Now his shift that was for him after our training would be done is now open.

Would it now be wrong to ask my manager about it or this is also a no no?
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would ask. Best way to go about it is to justify it somehow..it's more challenging, busier, you can learn new skills...most managers are OK moving people around especially if it benefits them (the company) or is perceived as your way to move up the ladder.

Congrats on learning the salary neg. lesson. It's a painful one but the good news is you'll never be in that position again now that you've learned the hard way. No worries though, we have all been there before!

Now, stay focused, learn all you can, and move onto more challenging opportunities eventually.
  • Options
    Thank you and I will keep on learning to be prepared for the more challenging roles in the future.