Options

Mentoring a potential employee

KoryKory Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Currently there we have someone who is doing electronic document conversion for our company as a long term temporary employee. She is extremely positive, and is a very fast learner, but has very little IT experience. She has expressed interest in learning more IT skills and I pointed her at the A+ program as a good foundation curriculum.

Since I am already considering adding another position to the department in the coming budget year (and that position would be entry level desktop type work), my gut says that this could work out for both of us.

What I would like to know (since I have never done the A+ course) is how ready would an A+ cert'd individual be for work as an entry tech. What kind of training time is expected from a student who comes to the course with only a basic understanding of Windows.

Now don't get me wrong, I know there will be a lot of on the job guidance in the beginning, but am I crazy in thinking that this could work?

For those who finished the cert, did you feel like the training gave you the skills you needed to work at a helpdesk?

Comments

• Options
    hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    How will she be getting the cert? I took two H/S support classes for my AAS that used an A+ book, if she was going that route I would say she would probably be coming in with a good handle on the basics and could either job without too much hassle.

I have also been doing some online practice tests and materials to review for the A+, that is a lot less hands on and IMO a much weaker point to start from. The practice materials don't really go into troubleshooting, diagnostic tools or much else other than naming parts and covering brief overviews of printers and other peripherals. There is also a good bit of material in the tests that is outdated.

I guess it just comes down to will she be getting any hands on experience while getting the cert. If she isn't I would expect you would have to do OJT for even the most basic tasks.

If she needs a PC to tear apart and mess with Goodwill usually has single core systems for $99.
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd say give her a book. Tell her to read during breaks, lunch etc. Study it and refer to this site and Professor Messer's CompTIA 220-801/802 A+ Training | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Technology Training. I gave my cousin the same information and gave him my old PC that I wanted upgraded. He learned the stuff faster than I did to pass the exam. He knows enough to be able to land a PT position as a hand and foot break/fix tech at a company near his home.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    First, mentoring someone to help them along is great. Many hiring managers know that it is easier to train someone with specific skills for a job than it is to teach them how to be positive and helpful in the work environment. I'd say any effort along these lines will result in a positive outcome.
    Kory wrote: »
    What I would like to know (since I have never done the A+ course) is how ready would an A+ cert'd individual be for work as an entry tech.

I'm not sure what "entry tech" means at your company, so I'm not sure how it would related to A+. A+ is more focused on hardware and operating systems. I would think that entry tech would be focused on specific software applications.
    What kind of training time is expected from a student who comes to the course with only a basic understanding of Windows.

It really varies. One person might love the concepts, tear through a self-study book, and get the cert in two months. Another person might not enjoy the concepts and take six months or longer to finish a self-study book.

Most A+ courses would include hands-on experience and assume very little knowledge. Many colleges have weekly A+ classes for about ten to sixteen weeks. Some training companies have focused classes running for two weeks, eight hours a day, but my gut says this would be too quick for her current level of experience.

However, just attending a course doesn't mean that someone would pass the exams and earn the certs.
    For those who finished the cert, did you feel like the training gave you the skills you needed to work at a helpdesk?

Yes, the A+ cert does give someone basic skills for a help desk job. Admittedly, a help desk means many different things in different companies, but the A+ cert provides a good foundation.

A good first step might be to talk to her about her interest in a help desk job. She might love the idea. Then again, she might have dreams of opening her own company as soon as this entry tech gig is over.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Might I suggest hitting up Google and going through a free practice test for the A+? You haven't taken the exam, but the practice questions would give you a good idea of the information it focuses on. From there you would be able to determine if the exam provides the required knowledge. Better yet, take it and see for yourself. But be ready to pay a pretty penny for the exams.
  • Options
    z3r0coolz3r0cool Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just started a job in the helpdesk after having a pseudo it job for quite awhile. The single most intimidating things are the applications I've never supported before like outlook. There are things the a+ will help with but for a lot of it, you just have to get your hands dirty with it.
  • Options
    DeezyFFDeezyFF Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea you just have to get use to working on stuff you dont know. But you will be supporting Outlook at almost any company you work for.
    WGU BS-IT Security: Complete
    ​:cheers:
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    @Deezy FF

Lotus Notes is still kicking... if you look for it.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel that it prepared me for the helldesk quite well really. Stayed there for about 11 months though before jumping ship to much greener pastures.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens