Options

WGU - BS IT Sec

j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
Hey guys,

I've been interested in WGU for a while now, and was wondering how exactly the cert transfer works. I currently have the following Certs: CompTIA: A+, N+, S+ and Cisco CCNA, I plan to sit for the CCNA Sec in the next two months. In addition I have an AS in Audio Production. I'd love to go back and get a BS while I am working, and WGU seems like a good way to do it.

Do the certs transfer right over or do you still need to test out of the courses you have certs for? Also based on the info provided about how long should this take? I would hope to finish this up in 12months or less.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your certs have to be less than 5 years old, if they are then you're good and you just skip the classes that the certs would cover. The AS courses are helpful but there is no way to know how many courses match up with the WGU requirements without checking with WGU themselves. If it is was a technical or certificate type AS vs all the regular general studies you'd most likely have to fill in a bunch of general ed classes.

How long it would take you is entirely based on how quickly you can do the coursework. I just started the IT security program there this month, they'll give you a schedule with 12-14ish credits per 6 month term but it's up to you to finish them early and push for more. Many people here have tested crazy fast but they also had all their general ed, a bunch of certs and a ton of experience to test faster than average.
  • Options
    j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    All of my certs are under a year old, so I guess I would be good to go on those classes. I'm hoping that almost all of the Gen Ed courses would be covered by my AS degree. I can see based on the curriculum, that I will not be flying through the classes, I'm sure the Linux+ and JavaScript classes will be time consuming.

I've already had my transcripts sent over, I just need to schedule a time to speak with an enrollment counselor to see what would be left.

Thanks for the reply Danielm7, and good luck with your studies.