Options

Question on STP: Why are switches called bridges now?

workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
I'm reading up STP now. Some of the new terms I come across are Bridge Priority, Bridge ID, Root Bridge. Why are switches called bridges now when coming to STP?

Are they Cisco terms? Through my CCNA study, I often found CCNA terminologies and commands quite weird and confusing. Wonder if Cisco did it on purpose.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The terms "Bridge" and "Switch", like most CCNA terms, are not Cisco-specific but rather widely recognized in the industry. I thought the CCNA Cisco Press books explained the historical difference between a Repeater and a Hub, and a Bridge and a Switch? If not, consider picking up a Network+ book or video series to help you understand more basic concepts like these--

Bridge vs Switch
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Switch and bridge are equivalent terms, for the most part. They operate on the same OSI and TCP layers and perform the same functions. Just Google "switch vs. bridge" and read up on the practical differences. In this context, I don't believe the distinction is particularly relevant, though there may be someone more Cisco-savvy that has an explanation for why bridge is preferred for STP nomenclature.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    there may be someone more Cisco-savvy that has an explanation for why bridge is preferred for STP nomenclature.
    Switches didn't exist when the STP nomenclature was created. This had little to do with Cisco, except that Cisco like many vendors implements it, since they neither invented the STP protocol nor invented the first switch.
  • Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The terms "Bridge" and "Switch", like most CCNA terms, are not Cisco-specific but rather widely recognized in the industry. I thought the CCNA Cisco Press books explained the historical difference between a Repeater and a Hub, and a Bridge and a Switch? If not, consider picking up a Network+ book or video series to help you understand more basic concepts like these--

Bridge vs Switch

In the new 100-101 book there was no mention of repeater when talking about the difference between a hub, bridge and switch. It just said a bridge and switch work the same way, the only exception is switch's are faster, I guess bridge's were limited to 10 Mbps?
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    bbarrick wrote: »
    In the new 100-101 book there was no mention of repeater when talking about the difference between a hub, bridge and switch. It just said a bridge and switch work the same way, the only exception is switch's are faster, I guess bridge's were limited to 10 Mbps?

Historically bridges and switches had the same basic goal; to help segment the network vs using hubs. Speed wise: it's mainly because bridges were software based, whereas switches use hardware i.e ASIC chip.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)