Options

Why EIGRP's algorithm is called DIFFUSING xxxx?

johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
I read this in Lammle's book,
Relying on other routers, and leveraging the information they provide, accounts for the "diffusing" character of DUAL

However, the above description applies to most other distance vector routing protocols as I know. They all need the routes of neighbor routers to build their own routing tables, don't they?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes you are correct. All distance vector protocols use information from their neighbors to build their routing table. Diffuse means to spread out over an area, like the updates do in an EIGRP network, so I assume that is why Cisco named their algorithm as such.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cisco actually didn't invent nor name that algorithm. The original white paper which has those credits is freely available online, and is a good source if you want a deeper understanding, as well as the Dijkstra paper it references. Who invented what is one area where Cisco texts sometimes do not clarify so well, at least when others are involved. Not that I blame them!
  • Options
    johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    Actually my question is why RIP algorithm is not named as diffusive or something?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Guess you'll have to ask the person that named it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That will become a bit clearer if you read the white papers I referred to.