Options

What tips would you give someone starting out in IT?

AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
Got to thinking last night that after being on TE for quite some time and experiencing the IT world I've learned a lot that I wish I would have earlier.

If you could give a few tips to people just getting started in their IT careers what would they be? -I'll share a few of my own below that I feel could help others:

Don't underestimate how powerful connections can be. Make a LinkedIn from the start, be positive with everyone you work with, and form lasting connections.

Push yourself out of your comfort zone often and you'll be surprised at how much more experience you'll get.

Focus on increasing your experience before pay. The money will quickly follow as your experience and education rapidly increase.

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Networking I can't emphasize it enough the opportunities it can present to you and new doors it opens!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If they're wrapping up high school, and enjoy technology, I'd aim them towards a CS degree. No need to guess what will be hot in five years! Get something that will leave you well-prepared for a variety of jobs.

Before they graduate I'd advise them to get a relevant certification and/or internship.

Now, if they didn't enjoy technology, I'd tell them to run and find something else they enjoy better that pays well enough to live comfortably. I feel bad for folks who are miserable in this field.

Cheating on certification tests? Silly! That's why they have interviews.

Dealing with your colleagues with honesty, compassion, and integrity will always serve you well in ways you can't even guess--no, it's not just about what's doing best for your karma. Expect to be treated in kind.

Listen to the wisdom of others, but stay true to yourself.

Take responsibility for your successes and failures.

When you lead, you will make mistakes. That's the nature of leadership and one way to learn.
  • Options
    tecketecke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ask questions, keep your ego in check, and document every problem/solution you encounter.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Take every opportunity to learn.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Two things:

- Always have a plan B. Like De Niro said in Ronin, "I never walk into a place I don't know how to walk out of." Have a backup, snapshot, baseline, documentation of whatever you intend to change.
    - Have access to a lab and test the heck out of things before deploying in production.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go hard or go home!

Read read and then read more. After that, read. Then read.

Certificates are great. However, don't let a vendors view of how things should be done get in the way of you getting the job done.

Laser beam focus. Don't believe the nay sayers, haters, doubters, the "oh IT is all being outsourced to India/China" clowns, the "oh you don't need that certificate" wasters get in your way of progressing in your career. Be respectful to people though. People will see it as a job... make it a career for you.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Some very good tips here! Keep 'em coming.

It never hurts to keep these things fresh in your mind.
  • Options
    SwitchingGearsSwitchingGears Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm enjoying the feedback too!. I have tons of life experience, but nadda when it comes to IT.

Keep em' coming :)
    Halfway thru Cisco Networking Academy towards CCNA; Halfway towards EnCe or CCE. Self-studying A+,Security+
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't chase after money. Chase after a career. Money will come.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi
    i am still new in the industry i am currently A+ certified and my next exam to take on is network plus, i just want to know how many question are there in the actual N+ 2009 exam?
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    dave330i wrote: »
    Don't chase after money. Chase after a career. Money will come.

I like this one.