Options

Newbie questions

tist005tist005 Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all, thank you for taking the time to read. While going to school I've been doing what I can to land a job in the future but I've come to a crossing. I got my network+ to get a foundation but I need moreee I tell you! Joking aside, I've decided to pursue the ccna. I've been researching potential study paths and material but can't decide on what to do. The root my problem lies with the test changes coming in the very near future. The books I saw on amazon are for the old test.. are these worth buying still? I've read that the first part of the test is being changed dramatically, probably requiring hardware to effectively study for the exam. If I manage to get the ccent before the exp date, can it be used to get my ccna still? Too many questions going through my head before I actually commit myself to the material. I'm not looking for short cuts, but rather to prepare myself effectively.

Thanks again!

Comments

• Options
    WarpigWarpig Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Other people will chime in I'm sure. From What I am understanding the ICND1 will become more difficult than it is now and the ICND2 may become slightly easier than it is now. It seems as if Cisco wants the CCENT (Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician) to be the stepping stone for the rest of their certs instead of CCNA. So they have intensified the CCENT (ICND1) cert to meet what they consider a minimum knowledge in order to be ready for any other cert paths. IMO this would also make sense IF the ICND2 becomes slightly easier. You learned more in part 1 so you are ready to go to any other cert prep but as a result the part 2 for the CCNA now is a little easier. Kind of "front loading" imo. Everything I have heard thus far says you can pass the old ICND1 and the new ICND2 and still be CCNA. If you are looking to buy materials now, unless you are positive you will pass ICND1 before 9/30 I would buy the materials for the NEW tests. I bought the Odom Official Cert Library 3rd edition and found out 3 or so weeks later that they were going to change everything. Now I'm trying to finish BOTH ICND1 and ICND2 before the 9/30 cutoff because I have the materials for those, but worse case scenario so long as I pass ICND1 by 9/30 I should be ok.

Nick
  • Options
    tist005tist005 Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the speedy response. I had the same assumption regarding the second test being easier if they're wanting to mash more in the ccent. I feel positive about my ability to retain information quickly so I think I'm gonna shoot for passing icnd1 by the exp date. That way I can go over the *old* icnd2 material at my leisure and work on the new stuff as well.
  • Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in Chapter 7 of Odoms 100-101 book for the new CCENT. I don't know that I'd be ready for the deadline, so I chose to go with the new tests. Plus I want the ability to go into an interview and brag about having passed the newest tests from Cisco.