Options

RHEL 7 Updates

2»

Comments

• Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    There seem to be a circle of people within the open source community that just loves the change for sake of change. Nothing ACTUALLY new created, just reshuffling old pieces and calling it a new version/release. I can understand the need for systemd and ridding off of initd, I understand the need for a new boot manager that is EFI/uEFI compliant... what is incomprehensible is the need to shuffle around config files and pretend something new is created. How's that better than Microsoft?!
  • Options
    BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Actually, from what I've seen until now RHEL 7 beta is more LSB compliant.And the more LSB complian distro's will get, the more easy it is to standardize thing.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Install Fedora 18. RHEL 7 will be similar.

Did you spend time learning Anaconda (the installer)? What about init scripts, or iptables, or grub? Anaconda was completely rewritten. systemd replaces init scripts. firewalld replaces iptables. grub2 replaces grub. Hopefully you didn't spend much time learning that soon-to-be obsolete stuff.

yum might be replaced by dnf. It is basically the same as yum, though (except it's currently unsafe to use).

Do you like network device names like "eth0" and "wlan0"? Well they are now "ajakp32423s3842" and "wkjp1346s238". Since that is obviously easier (only a slight exaggeration here).

/etc/sysconfig/ has always been where many things have been configured. Some of those have been arbitrarily moved for your convenience.

There's a new upgrader, called "fedup". Seriously. No, it does not upgrade your server to Windows when you are fed up with all the changes.
    No luck with Fedora 18, nor with 20, within VirtualBox. Dark screen just sits there, within its virtual machine.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yea I figured the config file changes were for lsb compliance. Having everything in /etc/sysconfig is convenient but so is having standardization when you work with multiple linux distros. I wish they'd keep ifconfig though. It does seem like linux tries to do a lot of changes for the sake of changing.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    @Stewart: I haven't tried it yet, but what parts did you find more LSB in RHEL 7? What differences did you notice so far? Care to share some details?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mostly the sysconfig/hwclock being switched to /etc/localtime. Some of the other changes like interface names and services are due to newer versions of udev , switching to systemd, xfs, grub2, firewalld etc... Other than the fact that it's redhat, the changes don't seem too significant to me since I'm using gentoo and switching to systemd for me is just a matter of compiling it from source. It really just seems like redhat is catching up to some of the newer distros technology-wise.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    @Stewart: Tried to rep +1 you but it says I should rep other people too ;) I don't work with Gentoo and I mostly deal with ubuntu and RHEL, so I think I need to get used to those new changes
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com