Options

Diff Server ?

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everybody,
Novice question - has anyone ever heard of a "Diff Server". For example, a server that records configuration changes made to any router or switch in a network?

If so can you name a brand or software?

Thanks so much.

Comments

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Most of your TFTP applications will do this. Just look into them. I know Solarwinds has a free one that does it.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've seen several in house coded applications to do this. Never really used any commerical products though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Node Man wrote: »
    has anyone ever heard of a "Diff Server". For example, a server that records configuration changes made to any router or switch in a network?
    Haven't heard of that term specifically, the description brings words like "Versioning control", "change management database (CMDB)", and "audit server" to mind.
    Node Man wrote: »
    If so can you name a brand or software?
    I used CatTools in a small environment for this purpose. It logs into routers/switches/firewalls/what-have-you on a periodic basis, grabs the running config, saves it locally, compares with previous version, and emails you the diff.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I use a program called Brocade Network Advisor which maintains copies of all of my configs. I can compare different versions of configs in a viewer which points out differences. This was wicked helpful when my coworker deleted a VLAN off of a switch one Saturday, I was able to quickly copy off the lines in the config related to that VLAN and reinsert them.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    restore point is a product that can do this, backes up the configs and then alerts you to changes. it can also alert you to devices that fail to meet criteria like having enable password set rather than secret. But it does cost.

Notepad++ can compare differences between text files if you just need to manage a few.

and you can do what i did which is write a script to back up your devices, and with in the script compare and alert.

But there are lots of applications out there that do this, cattools, solarwinds, restorepoint, spiceworks, any of the big names. Some like restore point you can set up the switches to send a trap alert to the server on any config change. the server will then go grab the latest config and compare to tell you what the changes where.

So yes loads of these appliance out there, from cheap freeware to massive corporate solutions costing £10,000s
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll just leave this here....

Shrubbery Networks, Inc. - RANCID

FYI RANCID = Really Awesome New Cisco confIg Differ
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    Solarwinds NCM. Can get it to email you the difference between running configs, startup configs and the difference between the 2 with a little bit of tweaking.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    We use CiscoWorks Network Compliance Manager