A more broad CCNA question

ukiltmybruthaukiltmybrutha Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
I kind of wizzed through my MCSE 2012 Certification which makes me the paper MCSE everyone seems to hate. I have no problem with that. Dirty oil is better than none. :D

However, after posting here and talking to a few folks about my unique situation in the DC area I have decided to pursue either the Microsoft Cloud track or the CCNA Security Track.

This is my issue:

I want to actually learn something going down the CCNA track since I can't fluff it nor do I want to fluff it. The problem is, where I work they won't allow me to get into the networking side of things. They want me to stay in systems. I get paid well and I am not ready to leave yet.

How do I keep sharp on the Networking track especially since I can't touch their equipment? Sure I can buy my own, but if I am not using it every day at home to my benefit I get bored with it real fast. At least with a Server, I can store my files and data on it. I can have a home domain that I can use.

I forgot everything that I learned going down the Network+ track in 6 months and don't want to have that happen again if at all possible.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'll want to get an emulator/simulator program. One I can recommend is GNS3. GNS3 has one problem, it doesn't emulate a real switch. For that, there is a website where some guy allows the public have access to the real Cisco switches. Forgot the website name at the moment.

Get yourself a Cisco Network Academy student lab manual. I highly recommended it. Do all the labs.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How do I keep sharp on the Networking track especially since I can't touch their equipment?
    The CCNA is an entry-level gateway certification, so most people don't have access to appropriate equipment on-the-job before taking it. You can use (1) a simulator (Boson, Packet Tracer), (2) an emulator (GNS), or (3) a real lab.
    I forgot everything that I learned going down the Network+ track in 6 months and don't want to have that happen again if at all possible.
    If you're not using the material on-the-job, you need a review program, or you will forget everything or mostly everything. Making good flashcards is an awesome tool and more efficient than re-skimming the actual textbook.
  • ukiltmybruthaukiltmybrutha Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks all! Is there any way that I can implement an applicable router of some sort into my home network. I get bored easy if I can't actually put stuff into practice at home. Could I try to penetrate my own network etc or otherwise use it? Can my home level Linksys/Cisco router perform in a similar matter to the way an enterprise level router functions or are they 2 different beasts?

Thank you very much for your thoughts so far!
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks all! Is there any way that I can implement an applicable router of some sort into my home network.
    Cisco sells SOHO routers running IOS. I once used an 800-series router in that role. GNS3 also runs the real IOS and can be inserted into your home network. However, as you say, enterprise and SOHO routing are in many regards different beasts. You don't need multiple routers or switches on your home network, and network protocols often come down to inter-device communication.
  • ukiltmybruthaukiltmybrutha Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You hit the nail on the head. Thanks for explaining this in a way that I could understand it!
    Cisco sells SOHO routers running IOS. I once used an 800-series router in that role. GNS3 also runs the real IOS and can be inserted into your home network. However, as you say, enterprise and SOHO routing are in many regards different beasts. You don't need multiple routers or switches on your home network, and network protocols often come down to inter-device communication.