Options

Require Inspiration From The Gods Of Linux

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi guys I have developed a interest in Linux and Open Source Technologies I wish to develop my skills further and to become more productive in my spare time and actually learn some stuff.

I am pretty comfortable using the command line and am willing to get my hands dirty. The first area of interest is Shell Scripting, Now I am not a programmer I don't think like a programmer or have the programmers godlike mentality Variables? For? Loops? it currently all goes over my head :)

So for somebody who knows nothing about scripting or programming concepts how do you begin to learn to script? am I out of my depth here? is there a suitable beginners course or tutorial or book out there? which starts you off with the basics i.e hello world and takes it a step further with introduction of variables etc.

Other Main Area of interest is Server Administration I have some spare hardware in which I was thinking of setting up File Server ( Sharing with win7 Host) FTP, Apache, and learning about advanced stuff like SElinux I will be using Centos.

How did you guys start with Linux? what kind of projects did you start with and how much time do you need to dedicate to it to develop a solid understanding.

Thanks for the help appreciate the insight :)
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Back in 2001/2022, I took classes from local community colleges to get a better understanding of Linux. I learned some about programming, however was never able to apply it to a job, because there are very few Linux jobs in the city (Omaha), where I lived at the time.

I would recommend getting your favorite Virtual Machine and grab either the iso or image and learn from there as well:

Images | VirtualBoxes - Free VirtualBox® Images

Can find various isos here:

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Learn more about Linux from the following websites:

Linux Today - Linux News On Internet Time.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply i was looking for guides to shell scripting has anyone used any that they can recommend?

• Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I also started with a couple classes through a Community College. In the "intro" class, we had to use three different distro's exclusively for two weeks each and then write a few papers on the experience, and no repeats were allowed. So if someone chose Ubuntu early on, nobody else could use it. Making us use different varieties like that was pretty awesome IMO.

For the scripting, check here: List of Bash online-tutorials [Bash Hackers Wiki]. You might find exactly what you want there, but I haven't use any of the guides referenced there except for Gregs.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply I'm new to the whole scripting thing. Although I wrote my first script tonight wasn't anything fancy just a hello world and now I'm looking at variables. You gotta start somewhere though right? :)

• Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Why dont you look up linuxcbt.com . THey have some good tutorials and they are not very expensive. Try them out for a month and see if it works for you. I am not a fan of the programming world and cant script to save my life.

I have been able to manage using some of their training videos.

Books - Plenty available in the market !

Chanakya
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja