Options

Resume review

pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
Ok so I have these 2 resumes. The first one is my old one and the second one is a new one that i just did. I only have had 1 job related to IT but the second job is a leadership role in which it may help land a job. Anyways let me know what you guys think and which one is the better of the 2. Thanks.AnthonyZResumeITver2review.doc AnthonyZResumeIT_newestreview.doc
WGU Complete: September 2014

Comments

• Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    There are enough differences between the two it is rather hard to compare them. Both have positives, both have faults.

I like the layout of "newestreview" better, but the content, generally, in "ver2" is better. I honestly think you need to combine them as each has some unique content.

My biggest concern though is the factual inconsistencies:

How can you have a 3.5 GPA at WGU? WGU does not use GPA; the closest is that you can say a pass is equivalent to a 3.0.

You state 4+ years of experience, but your resume only goes back 3+ years.

Your dates are overlapping - while it is possible you worked two full-time jobs for the last 3+ years I have a hard time buying that, especially given other inconsistencies in the resumes.

You also have some formatting errors, bullets not lined up properly (not to mention different sizes and styles) and one version is shifted too far right.

And drop the cheese related job; the dates overlap so you aren't covering a hole in employment and it has nothing to do with IT.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    PurpleIT wrote: »
    There are enough differences between the two it is rather hard to compare them. Both have positives, both have faults.

I like the layout of "newestreview" better, but the content, generally, in "ver2" is better. I honestly think you need to combine them as each has some unique content.

My biggest concern though is the factual inconsistencies:

How can you have a 3.5 GPA at WGU? WGU does not use GPA; the closest is that you can say a pass is equivalent to a 3.0.

You state 4+ years of experience, but your resume only goes back 3+ years.

Your dates are overlapping - while it is possible you worked two full-time jobs for the last 3+ years I have a hard time buying that, especially given other inconsistencies in the resumes.

You also have some formatting errors, bullets not lined up properly (not to mention different sizes and styles) and one version is shifted too far right.

And drop the cheese related job; the dates overlap so you aren't covering a hole in employment and it has nothing to do with IT.

Thanks for the tip. Yes I did work 2 jobs which is why the cheese job and the IT job over lap, but the IT job is only in December, and January and after that its just an on call basis whenever problems arise or they need something installed, so its more of a part time job. And although my job only goes back 3 years I have over 4 years actually working with computers out of my home. Also what content from the Ver.2 do you suggest i switch with on the newest one?
  • Options
    Ok I have modified it a little and changed it according to your recommendations. I didn't remove the Cheese job since I wasn't 100% sure if I should since my current IT job is part time. AnthonyZResumeIT_6_18_13.doc
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Increase the size of the Technical Skill title you're already on two pages and drop the line tech job. Move the date over on the IT technician so it line up with the other date. Redo the Professional profile with stuff from the IT tech job you are doing now.
  • Options
    DCD wrote: »
    Increase the size of the Technical Skill title you're already on two pages and drop the line tech job. Move the date over on the IT technician so it line up with the other date. Redo the Professional profile with stuff from the IT tech job you are doing now.

Should I drop the line tech job even though my current IT job is part time and as an on call basis? Also how should I align the dates so they match up?
  • Options
    Any more ideas guys?
  • Options
    pixa241 wrote: »
    Should I drop the line tech job even though my current IT job is part time and as an on call basis? Also how should I align the dates so they match up?

Yes you should drop it, why confuse the HR department. Take a look at the dates you have the date for the IT tech to the far right compared to the Satellite Tech and Line tech. Also remove the box around the certifications area. Put your name and contact information in one spot, either the middle or right side. Just a word to the wise your layout makes me wonder about your MS word skills.

Move Microsoft stuff above the ComTIA A+
  • Options
    DCD wrote: »
    Yes you should drop it, why confuse the HR department. Take a look at the dates you have the date for the IT tech to the far right compared to the Satellite Tech and Line tech. Also remove the box around the certifications area. Put your name and contact information in one spot, either the middle or right side. Just a word to the wise your layout makes me wonder about your MS word skills.

Move Microsoft stuff above the ComTIA A+

OK I will drop it then. And that's weird. When I open it up in word on my desktop everything lines up good. I wonder if its beaches I'm using office 365 and when it saves it converts it for older versions of office therefore displaying it different on your guys screen.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    OK I will drop it then. And that's weird. When I open it up in word on my desktop everything lines up good. I wonder if its beaches I'm using office 365 and when it saves it converts it for older versions of office therefore displaying it different on your guys screen.

Just one more reason to use PDFs.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    PurpleIT wrote: »
    Just one more reason to use PDFs.
    Ok here is what I have with all of your guys suggestions. I have also uploaded it as pdf so it wont change in different versions of office. let me know what you guys think. AnthonyZResumeIT_6_18_13_nosaputojob.pdf
  • Options
    Better looking resume and the PDF format is better to use. That way you don't have to wry about different version of windows changing the format of the document.
  • Options
    gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Keep your resume 1 page. Just looking at your resume I was too lazy to read it from so much information thrown at me. Keep it simple remember HR has 100's of applications review. You want to keep it simple and make sure it stands out by using key words.
  • Options
    Keep your resume 1 page. Just looking at your resume I was too lazy to read it from so much information thrown at me. Keep it simple remember HR has 100's of applications review. You want to keep it simple and make sure it stands out by using key words.

Thanks. What do you suggest I remove/edit to make.it shorter??
  • Options
    Write down the core functions you did during your employment. You can go in full detail during the interview if you like. It's a sales pitch the sole purpose of the resume is to get that phone call for an interview. Ever browsed through a magazine and seen an advertisement with a full blown description on what they're trying to sell? No just the highlight of the products.

When you turn in your resume what do you want the employer to focus on first? your technical skills don't look like much and I know you have more technical skills what did you learn from those 3 years? Put forth your strongest asset whether it be certs/experience.
    Under education you can list what course your taking but you don't really have to put so much details. If they have questions they'll ask.
  • Options
    Write down the core functions you did during your employment. You can go in full detail during the interview if you like. It's a sales pitch the sole purpose of the resume is to get that phone call for an interview. Ever browsed through a magazine and seen an advertisement with a full blown description on what they're trying to sell? No just the highlight of the products.

When you turn in your resume what do you want the employer to focus on first? your technical skills don't look like much and I know you have more technical skills what did you learn from those 3 years? Put forth your strongest asset whether it be certs/experience.
    Under education you can list what course your taking but you don't really have to put so much details. If they have questions they'll ask.

Thanks for the tips. With all of your guys help this is about the best I can come up with. Let me know how it is. It is not too long since I'm only 21 and don't have too much work experience but it also doesn't leave out everything i have accomplished up until now and what i knowAnthonyZResumeIT_6_18_13_nosaputojob2.pdf Also should I include my LinkedIn profile? if so what would be the best way to list it.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd fix the formatting in the technical skills section--"LAN/WAN administration" is over-indented and "Projection Utilities" is under-indented. But, in general, the length and layout are quite solid and it looks professional.

However, your grammar needs some review. Either put in the time to do so, or pay someone to edit this. For example, item #1 under "IT Technician" begins "Implemented" (past tense) whereas item #2 begins "Monitor" (present tense). That is just an error, but some lines are incomprehensible such as, "Used Ethernet topology to set up network with Cat6 and rid of wireless devices speeding up the network while saving time and money, and doubling the workload in a day." Perhaps you "Migrated from a wireless network to a wired, 1Gbps Ethernet network."

I'd also better explain or tone down your claims. How buying equipment and spending time to remove the ability of your users' ability to work while roaming "saved time and money and doubled the workload in a day" is beyond me. It may come across as someone pretending to have done more than they have. If you got to the interview stage, I would definitely challenge you on that one.
  • Options
    I'd fix the formatting in the technical skills section--"LAN/WAN administration" is over-indented and "Projection Utilities" is under-indented. But, in general, the length and layout are quite solid and it looks professional. However, your grammar needs some review. Either put in the time to do so, or pay someone to edit this. For example, item #1 under "IT Technician" begins "Implemented" (past tense) whereas item #2 begins "Monitor" (present tense). That is just an error, but some lines are incomprehensible such as, "Used Ethernet topology to set up network with Cat6 and rid of wireless devices speeding up the network while saving time and money, and doubling the workload in a day." Perhaps you "Migrated from a wireless network to a wired, 1Gbps Ethernet network." I'd also better explain or tone down your claims. How buying equipment and spending time to remove the ability of your users' ability to work while roaming "saved time and money and doubled the workload in a day" is beyond me. It may come across as someone pretending to have done more than they have. If you got to the interview stage, I would definitely challenge you on that one.
    Awesome thanks for the tips. I get what you mean and that what I though but wasn't sure how to quite word it. Will work on it a little more after work. And the business is a Tax Preparation business so doing a tax refund with wireless network took about 45 min and after adding the cat6 it only took them average about 20-25 min therefore being able to do almost twice as many customers in a day. I have fixed what you recommended and this is what it looks like now.AnthonyZResumeIT_6_21_13.pdf
  • Options
    Ok everybody. Thanks for all the help and here is my final version. AnthonyZResumeIT_6_22_13.pdf
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like! Good edits. :)
  • Options
    Ok everybody. Thanks for all the help and here is my final version. AnthonyZResumeIT_6_22_13.pdf

Okay now this is way better. The only real question I have is what do you mean you reduced the hours of downtime?
  • Options
    Okay now this is way better. The only real question I have is what do you mean you reduced the hours of downtime?

Yes because during their first year they had a lot of downtime hours which they were not able to do their work. Once I fixed everything and changed things, their second year they had virtually no hours of downtime where something may not have worked.
  • Options
    Yes because during their first year they had a lot of downtime hours which they were not able to do their work. Once I fixed everything and changed things, their second year they had virtually no hours of downtime where something may not have worked.

Just my thought it seems like the first and second points overlap each other? but aside from it all looks much much better. Good luck on job searches :)