Options

What would you do?

Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
Last night I'm in class with a buddy of mine, we are on the same degree path. He mentioned a month or so ago he had gone on a job interview. They called last night and offered him the position... $44K for an internship. No certs... no degree... some minor experience.

This got me to thinking.. what would I do if I were in this position.

He isn't in a horrible place in life... works part time... goes to school full time. He turned the job down. We both only have one more year to go to complete our degrees(BS tech Management). He said he was "all in" to complete the degree and if he took the job he might not finish school.

Personally ... I would have taken the position and finished school over the next year or two with night classes. I'm older and a little more stable financially. I think... the experience would have possibly trumped the degree at least for a period of time? Meaning.. the degree might come in to play later on in the career when managerial positions are on the table or something along those lines. But, for now, just starting out in the IT world, I think this would have been a great opportunity. I respect his decision, to each their own.

Of course, we all are in different places in our lives but out of just curiosity sake... what would you do?

Hatch
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd take the job too, the degree can be completed over another year or so. I'd be in no hurry to finish my degree. Consider this - you'd probably keep the job for a year or two and in that time you'd be able to complete the degree. So when the time comes to switch jobs, you'd have the experience and the degree.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would take the job and continue school part-time if it were feasible. I would only forego a better job if it made school undoable.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I would take the job and switch the major to CS. Do it before it's too late. Take evening and online classes and you'll graduate in probably two years with some experience and a good degree.
  • Options
    widget101widget101 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As someone who has been in a similar situation, I would have accepted the internship to gain some practical experience to supplement my degree and delayed my graduation as long as scheduling was flexible enough to accommodate the remaining courses. Like you mentioned, everyone has a different set of personal circumstances, so perhaps he made the correct choice for his situation. I can certainly empathize with desiring to graduate sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    No switching :) I'm knocking out the BS start to finish in 2 1/2 years... I'm old... not getting younger... pursing a CS degree would take 4 years.

Thanks for the comments all.. :) good stuff.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since it's a "BS tech Management", I would take the job. If it were a CS or EE degree, I would finish school instead (as I've stated in other threads, many employers pay nearly twice that for either of those degrees plus a CCNA).
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    Many graduates with degrees out there that can't get a job. I would have taken it. 44K is decent scratch for just out of school. Who knows what future opportunities he lost by not taking it.
  • Options
    As I mentioned above... I would have taken the job to get some experience and then continued on with school. But... I think he will do fine after school as well.

Hatch
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I would have done the same thing as you - take the job. He is at the end of his degree and there is not that much left - he could do it while working. Also, it is very true that experience is valued above everything else. With a year of experience and a job already + the degree things look mighty fine.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I suppose it would depend on the company. If it was some place horrible that seemed soul-sucking, then yeah he should stay in school. But if he plassed up a job somewhere awesome that has beer Friday and cool things like that (or, you know, something logical like a well-known company that looks impressive on a resume hehe), I'd have to say he might not have made the best decision.
  • Options
    Arysta wrote: »
    I suppose it would depend on the company. If it was some place horrible that seemed soul-sucking, then yeah he should stay in school. But if he plassed up a job somewhere awesome that has beer Friday and cool things like that (or, you know, something logical like a well-known company that looks impressive on a resume hehe), I'd have to say he might not have made the best decision.

From my understanding the place isn't all that bad to work for... but... that's just one opinion from a buddy of mine who works for them. It's also a large company... well known... so... I can't say it was the best move... it's all about what he wants for a career and how things are in his life. I still believe I would have taken the job and pressed on with school in the evening.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't in any way turn down any opportunity that could hep me further into my career path. I mean school will always be there guaranteed you just apply, register and get accepted, but a job you don't get somethings like that happening everyday.

But i respect your friend's decision sometime it all comes down to your timeline. He doesn't want to live any stones unturnedicon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    jmfdjmfd Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No doubt would of taken the job. Part time school, while getting experience is a win to me.
    WGU B.S.I.T. - Information Security | Completed January 2016