Options

How do you deal with users

Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
I feel like with a few people in my company, that its like ground hog day. How do you deal with user's that ask what I feel is basic computer knowledge questions on a weekly basis. I have one manager who tells me he doesn't know how to copy and paste... Not even kidding. Other users, who don't know how to navigate to folders to attach documents to emails. I've gone as far as using Camtasia to make videos, write instructions with screen shots on how to do some of the basic questions I get. Is this something I just have to deal with and vent to someone when I get frustrated by the same questions from same users over and over? I never let them know of my frustration, I always say, sure let me show you how to do this, or i'll do my best to walk you through it. Any advice on what I can do?

Comments

• Options
    jmfdjmfd Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I make it a point to teach self education methods. I would just redirect them to your videos each time until they get the picture.
    WGU B.S.I.T. - Information Security | Completed January 2016
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unfortunately, sounds pretty regular to me. My one piece of advice is to not do it for them....walk them through it but don't do it for them. Have them do all the clicking and typing. Having them go through the motions is more beneficial from a learning standpoint, and helps cement the process in their heads.
  • Options
    Qord has it down, although there is always going to be the occasional few who will never ever try to learn, want to learn, or care to learn ... no matter how much you try to help them.
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Had a user once tell me they were having trouble converting audio files to mp3 using Microsoft Word. Beat that...
  • Options
    Had a user call and cuss me out for their vpn not working. Sent him to tell me what his modem lights were doing to which he informed me they were all off because his power was out.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Rosco2382 wrote: »
    How do you deal with user's that ask what I feel is basic computer knowledge questions on a weekly basis. I have one manager who tells me he doesn't know how to copy and paste... Not even kidding.
    Well, if it's your job to answer such questions, you help your client accomplish what they are trying to accomplish. Perhaps you go a step further and show other common tricks, or create a FAQ for the most common questions, or make a short presentation if there's interest. This saves you from repeatedly answering the same questions.

If you don't want to be responsible for answering basic questions, improve your skillset so you can answer advanced questions. Certification and education are two ways to accomplish this. I'm too expensive to ask such questions.
  • Options
    jmfd wrote: »
    Had a user call and cuss me out for their vpn not working
    I would not tolerate that. That should not be tolerated whether you're dishwasher or a CEO.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I handle users the same way I handle hot dogs on the grill: quickly, with a sharp metal stick.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    NetworkVeteran beat be to the two things I was going to bring up.

- Knowledgebase: This is critical as environments get bigger/more complex and the user base increases. This will save TONS of time on repetitive stuff. A robust solution will allow you to embed docs, videos, screen grabs, etc. As many things, its success is dependent on management buying into it and establishing policies such as "must check KB before opening tickets" or something to that effect.

- Improve skillset: nuff said

Random ticket I saw yesterday in our system: "explain what Yammer is". Apparently some people are not aware of Google or Bing.
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm working on my skillset don't get me wrong. Its not really my job per say to answer those basic questions, its just that I don't wanna live up to the stereo type of "IT guys". I will take some of the advice on here about refer them to the training docs or videos i have on our intranet. Unfortunately our company is spread out through the midwest, so going to them and teaching them isn't an option.
  • Options
    Rosco2382 wrote: »
    I've gone as far as using Camtasia to make videos, write instructions with screen shots on how to do some of the basic questions I get... Its not really my job per say to answer those basic questions, its just that I don't wanna live up to the stereo type of "IT guys".
    Sorry, mate, but that doesn't make sense to me. If it's not your job to answer basic questions, then stop answering them.

Someone asked me a Windows question last week. "No idea. I call IT for that stuff." I don't know what stereotype you're fighting, but most people have limited time for work tasks they are not responsible for. What do you imagine would happen if you asked someone in your legal department to fetch you coffee, to change your oil, or to teach you how to use Excel?

If this is one of your responsibilities, then own it and do your best. ;)
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    We get "dumb" questions all the time. We get ppl from other agencies that aren't within my group bringing up their laptops to get them repaired...like seriously. Although that's not me personally, I just make recommendations on other places to go to "get their problems fixed". Other ppl in my group don't know how to say no.

The reality is that some ppl just can't be trained, even if you showed them how to attach an e-mail, or copy and paste. It's like my mgr says, "...if they go just a little off course....forget it..."

Best thing to do is to make an area full of training material and direct them that way...that way you aren't killing yourself in the process. Make sure you get your mgmt approval on it too, as Im sure other ppl in your group are coming across the same issues
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NetworkVeteran hit the nail on the head.icon_cheers.gif

It's a part of IT's value proposition to provide secure, reliable and highly available information systems to help facilitate the end users in doing their jobs. Sometimes that involves dealing with dummies. lol
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I try to not deal with users.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I actually had a talk with management at my last company about needing to hire people who knew how to use a computer which seemed to help.

Previously they had hired a new director that couldn't figure out how to open the CD drive on his computer. After pressing the eject button he asked what kind of magic I did to make it open. I watched him put his CD in upside down as I walked away facepalming.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Last I checked, customer service was a part of almost all IT jobs. Like it or not, we provide a service and technology. Sometimes we have to teach them how to use those services and technologies. If you don't like people, you might want to try something else. Have you ever called an electrician or a plumber? Did you ask them questions? Odds are those were "stupid" questions to them. You use a toilet everyday and don't know how it works??

I don't mean to rant, but you are heading down the path that I saw at my previous job. The people I would coach and train would keep on about the stupid questions until they got burned out or fired because they forgot to hit mute before calling someone an idiot. You are taking the right steps with the video and in person tutorials. Write up an email template that will encourage users to visit those resources and email it to every ticket that asks question X or Y. Let them know the FAQ is there to help them save time WITHOUT making them feel like you are unavailable.

There are always ignorant users. But not all of them want to stay that way. We are here to help.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I went from the only support person in a 15 office position, to one of 60 support folks working for a cloud backup company. I had one guy today tell me "Look, Im an administrator, I know everything!" Well, apparently not mr roboto, or you wouldn't be coming to me to fix your foul up.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Look at it as job security. If they knew as much as you, the company might not need you. Making videos is good and will help people who won't ask you for help directly.

Dealing with end users is a great way to develop your soft skills, which are important in the IT world, as we all know, people get really pissed off when a computer or printer won't do its job. Being able to defuse a situation, resolve the problem, and leave them happier than when you arrive to help them or started the phone call is good. Also, its helpful to follow up with them later on, to see if their issue is resolved. Builds a rapport with them.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm probably not the greatest example to use, but here it goes. You've done everything right so far and I generally go with the three strike rule. I'll show you, make a document (maybe a video), and then if you follow up with me again I look at where you got stuck. A lot of time they usually do a number of steps right and then get stuck at something else. If they're actively trying then I don't think you should or can be too rough on them. But another think I would do is bring it up with your supervisor to see how he usually handles it and perhaps other things you can do.

But as others have said at some point you just have to accept it and just try to get out of the position. Or do like the graphic arts guys do here when someone asks them something dumb:

Let me google that for you <--- they send people here haha
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I don't deal with users, I deal with administrators and they are worse.

Try explaining a concept to someone who already believes they know everything. I had a client recently who had several admins who were sure AD worked a certain way and would not believe me when I told them it didn't work like that. They went so far as to open a case with Microsoft. They never directly admitted I was right, but one of the admins said they were going in a different direction based on what I told them. Try explaining Office 365 account federation and single sign-on to an admin who sticks out his tongue while he types with two fingers. Or spend a day explaining Exchange 2010 storage architecture to an admin who just won't accept that you should not run eseutil against an Exchange 2010 DAG member to recover whitespace in a database.

Spend some time consulting and you will be amazed how things keep working in spite of what the administrators have done to them.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No matter how great your notes or knowledge base articles are, they will still ask because its quicker.

I found the only way I found in dealing with those questions is making sure you get out of help desk asap.

Like Claymore says though, Admins can be worse, especially the know it all.

Scratch all that ... The best way is actually going into pig-farming or sun-counting or cloud-painter.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Architect192Architect192 Member Posts: 157 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Last I checked, customer service was a part of almost all IT jobs. Like it or not, we provide a service and technology. Sometimes we have to teach them how to use those services and technologies. If you don't like people, you might want to try something else. Have you ever called an electrician or a plumber? Did you ask them questions? Odds are those were "stupid" questions to them. You use a toilet everyday and don't know how it works??

I don't mean to rant, but you are heading down the path that I saw at my previous job. The people I would coach and train would keep on about the stupid questions until they got burned out or fired because they forgot to hit mute before calling someone an idiot. You are taking the right steps with the video and in person tutorials. Write up an email template that will encourage users to visit those resources and email it to every ticket that asks question X or Y. Let them know the FAQ is there to help them save time WITHOUT making them feel like you are unavailable.

There are always ignorant users. But not all of them want to stay that way. We are here to help.

Awesome attitude. That's how we should all approach this. Making people feel like morons because they don't know what you know is ridiculous. We all have our field of expertise and we should be there to assist others.

Now with that said, it works both ways. When people call support and ***** and moan and yell and whatnot, they need to be reported for their attitude. We're there to help, we're not slaves :)

Note: I never worked helpdesk... I managed one for years and also pitched in once in a while..
    Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
    Working on: CCNA Datacenter (2nd exam), Renewing VMware certs...
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Look at it as job security. If they knew as much as you, the company might not need you. Making videos is good and will help people who won't ask you for help directly.

Dealing with end users is a great way to develop your soft skills, which are important in the IT world, as we all know, people get really pissed off when a computer or printer won't do its job. Being able to defuse a situation, resolve the problem, and leave them happier than when you arrive to help them or started the phone call is good. Also, its helpful to follow up with them later on, to see if their issue is resolved. Builds a rapport with them.

This exactly, don't become the stereotypical IT person with the snotty attitude.

Also if you are good to the users especially if you are a contractor or even direct hire, developing a friendly and good reputation might lead to other opportunities later.

A long time ago we had a great tech who had the crappiest people skills. He was on one of the upper floors working on something and somebody overheard him complaining about government employees, he was walked out that afternoon.
  • Options
    Architect192Architect192 Member Posts: 157 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One advice I can give all of you in junior positions... NEVER underestimate the power of making friends and connections. I worked for 9 years as a sysadmin, knowing every single user by AD name, their AD permissions etc... but couldn't put a face on any of them. Now, years later, I meet them at new jobs, different positions etc. and I feel bad about never taking the time to stick my nose out of the technical things and knowing them. You never know when one of them might call you up and offer you a position!
    Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
    Working on: CCNA Datacenter (2nd exam), Renewing VMware certs...
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    shovel ..
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At my previous job it was real bad...but, the users here at my current job are always chipper and happy to see me. A lot of times we can both laugh at some of their simple mistakes/silly questions :)
    A+/N+/S+/CCNA:RS/CCNA:Sec
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Random ticket I saw yesterday in our system: "explain what Yammer is". Apparently some people are not aware of Google or Bing.
    Next ticket in the system: "Explain what Google is" icon_biggrin.gif
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Be a turd and send them a LMGTFY link. icon_cheers.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    meowcatmeowcat Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One thing I do at my position is teach a lot of workshops. I don't know if that is possible where you work, but a one hour workshop where people can ask questions is a great way for people to learn, and also see that other people know more than they do and maybe they should try a little harder.

Another thing we do is purchase Microsoft Office and Windows 7 laminated **** sheets from some company and hand them out when users get an upgraded machine. Assuming they even spend ten seconds looking at it you have probably made your money back in productivity.