Options

Looking to set up a lab!

twofingeredtwofingered Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I used the stickied topic in this forum, as well as this resource in order to find what I needed for a home lab. I am looking to use it in order to study for the CCENT, and eventually use it to study for the CCNA. However, I am having a hard time finding an OS version 12.4. About every single one I have manage to stumble across is 12.1. Is this a big difference? Am I just not looking hard enough?

I am almost completely new to networking (I know what it is, took a basic college class, and have done minor work on it) so I want to make sure I don't buy completely useless hardware.

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're building a lab for the CCNA and you plan on sitting the exam prior to September, IOS 12.3-12.4 will do everything you need from a router standpoint. This would be devices such as 2610XM/2611XM, 3640's, and 1841 routers (most expensive out of the bunch, but allows for future growth). For switches look for 2950/3550's. 3550's would be ideal (although it should be noted they're quite old by now), and they can be had for $50-100 on ebay.

Your issue is the new CCNA (which will be your only option as of September 2013) runs IOS 15, so technically you should be running IOS 15. The good news, however, is there is literally only a couple of differences between IOS 15 and IOS 12.X- the biggest being licensing. My recommendation, would be to run IOS 12.4 on all your devices, and if necessary, rent a rack for a few hours to navigate the licensing commands, and be done with it.

As a side note, IOS 12.4 on 2600's would last you well into your CCNP studies if you decide to go that far, so that's not necessarily a bad thing.

In short, for someone new to networking who wants to get their CCNA, I'd recommend:

3x 2600 routers (2611XM's would be ideal, 2610XM's would work too)- Cost: approx $200-300 (depending on memory/modules, etc)
    -NOTE: If you can't afford the 2611XM's, worst case scenario you can downgrade to some non-XM models, or absolute worst case scenario some 2500 routers, but these are 30 years old- and as such, run the oldest code, and are very limited with regards to what you can do. The good news is these can be had for $25 on ebay.

3x switches of your choice- 2950's at a minimum, 3550's would last into CCNP studies, 3560's are replacing all the 3550's (but a lot more expensive).
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can snag 1760s cheap on eBay [or from Cables and Kits (Cisco Products, Business Networking Products). I got 9 of 'em for an average of $14/each (No Modules, Cables, or Rack Ears) on eBay, though the cheapest I can find now is $35-40/each. If you don't mind a challenge [and have a copy of IOS on a TFTP Server], you can look for ones listed as "AS-IS" because they boot to ROMMON (No IOS). Most buyers don't want to mess with these, so you can get them even cheaper.

I would also suggest if you can afford it that you pick up a 2821. You could alternatively get an 1841 or 2811, but the 2821 seems to be the most commonly sold and runs about $110-130 on eBay. I found one that offered Free Local Pickup [about 20 miles away] and was able to get it for $100 [thanks in part to not having to pay for shipping.]

My lab [currently]:

($73) 2 x 1760 (192D/32F) w. WIC-1DSU-T1
    ($24) 1 x 1760 (192D/32F)
    ($94) 5 x 1760 (96D/32F)
    ($17) 1 x 1760 (64D/32F)
    ($99) 1 x 2821 (1 GB DRAM / 256 MB Flash) w. 2 x WIC-1DSU-T1 V2 (Upgraded from 512 MB DRAM and added Modules)
    ($90) 3 x 2950

Total Cost: ~$397

I've been bidding on the 3550 or 3560 (Layer 3 Switch), but no luck as of yet scoring one on the cheap.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    I am actually currently only working to the get the CCENT, but may eventually move on to the CCNA. I do not have a focus in networking, but do want to be able to understand and handle Cisco networking if the need arises. Also, like mentioned, if it does become needed for me to become well-versed in networking, I would like to have the material available to work with. I plan on taking the CCENT before the new test rolls out, though. I was told this shouldn't be a problem, since I know my way around computers and basic networks.

Taking both pieces of advice into consideration, does this look attractive? The price point seems good for what comes with it, compared with buying it piece by piece, though I am not sure if I need everything. I don't know what some of the things listed are.

Or, should I just ignore these kits, and purchase separately? I am also looking at the 1760's, but having a hard time finding ones that list the iOS.

I am going a bit blind here, so forgive me. A lot of these terms are new to me.
  • Options
    I would buy individually. That kit is about $150 overpriced at a minimum- probably closer to $200-250 over. It is a pain when you're starting out to buy individually, but I can assure you it is beneficial to your career to shop around and learn what interfaces you need and such. Plus, you'll save a lot of money. Check this out:

Cisco 2611XM 100 Mbps 4 Port 10 100 Wired Router AC Power Rack Mounts 32F 128D 0746320661216 | eBay (2611XM - $74)

Cisco 2610XM 100 Mbps 1 Port 10 100 Wired Router CISCO2610XM 0746320661247 | eBay (2610XM - $30)

If you go with one of the 2600's, you're going to want a couple of WIC-1T interface cards (Go for around $10-20/ea on ebay)- Cisco Genuine WIC 1T | eBay

In order to connect those WIC-1T's between routers, you'll need one of these serial cables: Cisco Crossover Serial Cable 3 ft 3ft Router to Router | eBay

So really you should be looking for:

3x routers (whichever model you prefer..the things to look for are: memory, modules included (if any), and that they power up. Also, you need at least one FastEthernet interface..the 2610's have one, the 2611's have two).

2-3 switches (again, whatever model..these are easier. Just pick up a couple of 2950's to start..should be able to nab two for under $80)

1x WIC-1T card for each router. If you get 3 routers..you'll want an extra WIC-1T (so 4 total), so you can connect them back to back (ie: Router A -> Router B > Router C..Router B would need 2x WIC-1T's

A few regular CAT5/ cables..can get these from walmart, target, or online..doesn't really matter. I'd recommend getting the cheapest you can. Something like this: 3ft Cat5e Network Ethernet Patch Cable Gray | eBay

Remember the forums are here for a reason, so you can definitely buy individually..don't be afraid to ask any questions, we all started out in the same place you're at!
  • Options
    After rereading your first post, I think it cleared up the main trouble I was having with buying separate pieces of hardware.
    IOS 12.3-12.4 will do everything you need from a router standpoint. This would be devices such as 2610XM/2611XM, 3640's, and 1841 routers

So, these routers come default with at least 12.3-12.4? The main thing holding me back was that so many people didn't list the IOS, which seemed like it would be a common thing to list.
  • Options
    Truth be told, you really don't care about the IOS that comes with the device, you will likely load your own (or you should, it's a pretty important part early in your career to be able to upgrade IOS on a router)....that being said, the important part is making sure the memory on that device will support the IOS you plan on running.

Let's say you want to run 12.4, but you're not sure if the 2610XM you're looking at runs it.. (oh, a caveat..XM models run 12.4, non-XM do NOT, they top out at 12.3, which is why I recommend the XM models)...so you find a router on ebay that has 128 megs of RAM and 32 megs of flash as stated in the ad (most likely they've posted the output of a "show version" which lists the memory on the box. It can be tricky to decipher..google is your friend on that part!). You can go to the Cisco feature navigator here:

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/

Then click on "Research Software" -> Select "Platform" radio box -> Select "IOS" from "Software Type" dropdown on the left -> Select the platform you're looking at on ebay. Since we're using 2610XM for this example you'll select that. Then select "12.4" from "Major release" dropdown -> Select a release..doesn't really matter at this point to be honest, you just need something you can learn the fundamentals on. Then select feature set..I always shoot for the most features, so select "Advanced Enterprise Services"

The results you see back will show "DRAM / Min Flash:" - THIS is what you need when shopping for routers. This is the minimum requirements to run that image. When you buy your routers..you want to make sure they'll support the image you plan on running. Pretty much any 12.4 Adv enterprise services image will run what you need at the CCENT/CCNA level..so that's good.

So that being said, you need to refer to the feature navigator, find what memory requirements you have..generally speaking, 128M of RAM and 32M of flash will run ANYTHING you need at the early stages in your career/studies. The good news is if you find a great deal, but it has less RAM, you can upgrade most devices without issue (same as upgrading the RAM in a PC).

With regards to the image, you can download the images you'll need. You technically need a CCO login at Cisco.com with a contract tied to your account that grants you rights to download images, but if that's not the case..I would never recommend downloading unlicensed software, but some people do for their studies, and that will definitely work fine! Or, if you have a friend with CCO access, they can probably nab it for you.

Edit: To finally answer your question, it's a toss up which devices are running which IOS, since they're older, and people likely have changed IOS's over the years..so that's why I say the version they currently have isn't really relevant as you might as well load your own. It doesn't take long, and you will do it many more times if you're in this industry for a while..It's good practice!