Options

Finishing Associate Degree in Cyber Security

VIDEODROMEVIDEODROME Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I guess this is my introduction post. I'm on track to finish college before next winter. I have had classes that could be considered prep course for typical certs like A+, Networking, or Windows 7.

I haven't tested in any of them yet because I've sunk a huge amount of time into a Cyber Defense Team at my college. It's a big challenge, but really interesting. I've been experimenting with tools like Kali Linux, Ettercap, and Metasploit(Armitage).

I need to shift priorities in anticipation of graduating though and start at least getting through some CompTIA certs.icon_study.gif I'm wondering if just doing CompTIA would be a good starting place for a recent undergrad as I'd imagine my first job will be entry level anyway? Also, for those who have studied and passed, are the practice exams here good or did you invest in another site like Transcender?

I should add I'm not a fan of Rote Learning which is why I tend to spend my time in the lab more. So, I'm looking for tools to help me cram and pass these Certs.

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Any of the CompTIA certs you should be able to self study for without testing software. Transcender is great for the CCNA, that much I do know. Since your aim is security be ready for a lot of reading and paperwork. It's sorta like law enforcement, 5% running and gunning, but 95% paperwork and procedure. Nature of the game.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    VIDEODROMEVIDEODROME Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Any of the CompTIA certs you should be able to self study for without testing software. Transcender is great for the CCNA, that much I do know. Since your aim is security be ready for a lot of reading and paperwork. It's sorta like law enforcement, 5% running and gunning, but 95% paperwork and procedure. Nature of the game.

I guess I just want to be sure of passing if I'm paying for this and there are apparently no retries.

Also, I saw another post mention Offensive Security certs. Maybe that is something to aim for in the future. I imagine getting a stable entry level job to pay bills while studying so I can eventually get a real security related career going.
  • Options
    zxshockaxzzxshockaxz Member Posts: 108
    I'm getting my AAS in Cyber security as well. I've got a little while left. I just landed my first IT job as a "Technology Employee" at the college. Myself, a buddy, and the assoc. director of Cyber Security at my school are working on starting an InfoSec club where we'll be playing war games and doing research. pretty much a weekly mico-BlackHat convention lol
    the Offensive Security certs are GLORIOUS. I can't wait until I have the money to actually take them. My supervisors at work tell me "If there is anything you want to learn, we'll teach you. you just have to ask." I plan on taking advantage of this to get as much security experience as i can to put on a resume. They're allowing me to set up a lab and do some pentesting on their voip system. kinda exciting.

If you haven't gathered this by now, here ya go: When it comes to getting an IT job, employers want experience more than a degree. Certs are the best way to show that you have knowledge of an area. Degrees are good, and show that you have knowledge, but sometimes having a degree just shows that you know a little bit about a lot of things, where as certs show that you have proven you have pretty decent knowledge of something. Personally, I'm getting as many certifications as i can, going to school as long as I can, and getting as much work experience as i can.