Options

Different pay per agency

Bose4meBose4me Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was contacted by a recruiter about a NOC position nearby. We went over my background, the job description, and what the employer was looking for as well as salary expectations (hourly) as I gave the recruiter a figure of $21hr. The recruiters immediate response was we could bump you up to $23hr. I was delighted, told her I was interested and proceeded to set up the initial formal interview which is next week. Before ending the call, she told me if another agency contacted you about the same position, to decline the offer as having two resumes with the same employer will automatically disbar you from employment opportunities.

So after ending the call I searched and found numerous postings for the same job with different agencies. One agency had a hourly range of 10-18 and the other had DOE. I checked www.simplyhired.com and the avg salary for the position in my area is 52k, which is somewhat or near $25hr.

So my question is how could the salary for the same job differentiate so greatly?? And who's to know, what if the agency that contacted me is offering to pay others more that what was suggested but decided to offer the minimum to me since my initial response was low. Would it be a good idea to ask for more pay since this is a temp position w/o benefits?

Comments

• Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    greedy contract handlers and/or the agencies fees
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bose4me wrote: »
    Before ending the call, she told me if another agency contacted you about the same position, to decline the offer as having two resumes with the same employer will automatically disbar you from employment opportunities.
    This is probably B.S., unless you've made some sort of agreement that only one agent will represent you.
    So my question is how could the salary for the same job differentiate so greatly??
    For one, a more experienced person may merit more pay than a less experienced person. For two, since it's a temporary position, you may not be working directly for the target employer but rather for the "recruiter" if the target employer accepts you. And they may have different expectations. For three, each recruiter may have different margins they find acceptable.
    And who's to know, what if the agency that contacted me is offering to pay others more
    This is irrelevant. Focus on whether what they are offering you is fair compared to your other opportunities.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is probably B.S., unless you've made some sort of agreement that only one agent will represent you.

Actually this is true. If a perspective employer gets the same resume from 2 different agency, the resume is thrown out because the employer doesn't know which agency is representing you.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    dave330i wrote: »
    If a perspective employer gets the same resume from 2 different agency, the resume is thrown out because the employer doesn't know which agency is representing you.
    I went through this once. The company (one of the top three networking companies) did not throw out my resume. I clarified who was representing me, went through the interview process, and was offered the job. I'd be astonished if any company could afford to throw out a great candidate due to administrative silliness, especially when a simple question could clear it up.

I suspect it might be different if you resume doesn't stand out from all the other candidates applying. I know, when I was recruiting/hiring, I had so many leads for entry-level positions, I'd discard a candidate for the slightest issue.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Actually this is true. If a perspective employer gets the same resume from 2 different agency, the resume is thrown out because the employer doesn't know which agency is representing you.

That's not true everywhere. If your resume comes to us from one recruiter then another, the one that put it in first will get the fees. We aren't going to rule out a perfectly good candidate just because two companies sent their resume in. It just happened with some resumes I'm looking at a couple weeks ago. A lot of times the recruiters are very vague about the position they are putting your resume in for anyway.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I suspect it might be different if you resume doesn't stand out from all the other candidates applying. I know, when I was recruiting/hiring, I had so many leads for entry-level positions, I'd discard a candidate for the slightest issue.

OP is going for a lower level NOC position, so odds are his resume will get thrown out.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
    Bose4me wrote: »
    I was contacted by a recruiter about a NOC position nearby. We went over my background, the job description, and what the employer was looking for as well as salary expectations (hourly) as I gave the recruiter a figure of $21hr. The recruiters immediate response was we could bump you up to $23hr.
    ?

I have never met an agency or any company that offers you more than what you ask for. It's always been - I can get you $21 or yeah, we can do $21. Never been - well we will give you more than what you ask for.
  • Options
    GarudaMin wrote: »
    I have never met an agency or any company that offers you more than what you ask for.
    I've encountered many companies who pay more than strictly asked for or provide unprompted raises. I usually elect to work for such employers. They want to ensure I'm paid competitively so 100% of my focus is on the job-at-hand.

Agencies? I agree they tend to be more stingy! ;)
  • Options
    GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
    I've encountered many companies who pay more than strictly asked for or provide unprompted raises. I usually elect to work for such employers. They want to ensure I'm paid competitively so 100% of my focus is on the job-at-hand.
    QUOTE]

I have found that if I get paid more, it's not because of company but it's because of your manager/supervisor. They are the one who tries to get you more money.
  • Options
    I have found that if I get paid more, it's not because of company but it's because of your manager/supervisor. They are the one who tries to get you more money.
    Fair enough. That's probably a more accurate formulation. :)
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod

I can speak for my current company: Our IT director takes the resume from the company he received it from first and then works with them. Regardless of level of position
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    Having just completed my job search I ran into several instances where a recruiter included language that they had the right to represent me FOR THAT POSITION. It is good to know that some companies don't get too wrapped up in these things and throw out good applicants, but its obvious that not all are that way.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think probably 90% of the time it is something recruiters say just to try and get the fees and not let another company get the money. I see no logical reason for a company to throw out a qualified persons resume because it came in through two agencies. I'm sure there are some companies out there with some crazy standards though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ok, as a former recruiter I can chime in on some of this. Different bill rates? All the time. The company is the one who sets the rate. If other agencies decide to offer less the recruit less, it is usually due to they have a higher overhead. Basically, if the position is offering 25/hr, the agency is billing the customer (employer) double that.

On double resumes, it can get dicey. We had an employer come in to the office to do interviews, as this was a one and done type of deal. He picked a candidate, and gave me the offer. I pitched it, the candidate said yes, Ill take that. We told the employer he accepted and sent on the paperwork to HR.

Now, here comes the head of HR. "We already have that person in our files, so we are not paying a fee, period!" We got a hold of the hiring manager and HR on a conference call. He asked her if the resume is on file, why didnt he see it? Her answer was she THOUGHT it didnt meet the requirements. He sighed, told her to cut the check. She screwed up, plain and simple.