Options

New to CISA.. Required Experience for certification?

jjchoi08jjchoi08 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I am planning to step into IT Auditing field in the future. I started my career as a developer but have Master's degree in IT Risk management.

I recently had chance to interview for a AML / Compliance consultant position. This position works with banks but it also related to risk management.

Will I be able to use my experience as AML / Compliance consultant for CISA certification? I am not sure what the two (or three) year experience must be like for CISA certification. Will I be able to use my Development experience as related experience as well?

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The details of the experience requirements can be found here - How to Become CISA Certified

If your AML/Compliance experience fits the definition outlined by ISACA, you should be fine. I would not expect your development experience to count towards the experience. Also, the folks at ISACA are quite helpful so I would encourage you to contact them.

And - welcome to the TE forums.
  • Options
    rishrish Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I want to further add to this thread and find a solution to my doubt.

I am an information security professional with 2.5 years of experience which involved internal audits (ISO 27001 and PCI DSS) along with other relevant responsibilities (risk assessments, security policies and standards, awareness, gap analysis etc) .
    I also have an MSc with a major in computer security.
    I want to get a CISA certification but I am really confused that with my experience and education, how many years of experience I will need to get the final certification.

I have gone through each link on the website and still could not find the solution to my problem therefore I shall be looking forward to your response.

--
    Kind regards,
    Rishabh Rastogi

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Rish - based on your description, I would not expect you to qualify for the CISA designation. Your MSC will provide a 1 year waiver. You would still need 4 years of professional experience. But your best bet is to contact ISACA directly.