Options

email hosting services with security and privacy

GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
Anyone aware of any hosting services for email who respect security and privacy (as in they won't inspect your emails except for malware and spam scanning, etc.)?
I know of bullet proof hosting services but I don't need to go that far, as long as it's reputable company who respects privacy and security.

On the side note, this is what prompted my question.
http://prism-break.org/

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Another alternative is to continue to use the free services (gmail, outlook.com, yahoo, etc...) but use a digital certificate with it. Granted, you'll have to use an e-mail client on the desktop, and install the cert on each mobile device you use, but it will serve the same purpose. The e-mail provider won't be able to skim your messages, and the receiver will be guaranteed that the message is genuine.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you think that you are important enough to fear that anyone would care (don't mean it sarcastic BTW.), then you might be out of luck. At the end of the day, a lot of companies do journal mails for certain compliance requirements and with the right journalling provider (rather than just an additional inbox), you can even retrieve the full envelope data, which essentially means you can read bcc recipients.

Any Exchange hosting company should give you some peace of mind (especially by hosting your own Exchange Server).

But to be honest, the only 100% sure way of making sure your conversation stays private is having it in person in a bunker.

I for one couldn't care less. I just think any agency, lawfully or not, is able to get to your data, one way or another.

And I don't do anything illegally, so I got nothing to hide.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh and read the T&C of Google. You'll find out how much of your data, including mails, actually belong to you (or hit the T&Cs of Apple on your iPhone for that matter), you will realise that you own about 0%.

I wonder how many people are outraged about Prism but posting their life on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    I wonder how many people are outraged about Prism but posting their life on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

Even if people are outraged, nothing is going to happen. I don't think all of them are gonna rage quit those social media sites that they use. If it does happen, it wil be a very small number. It's a trade off between convenience and privacy: average users will pick the prior.

lol, nice one -> "Certified Alien Abduction Professional"