Options

IPV6 on 2610's?

Donnelly82Donnelly82 Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
hi guys, thought i would implement some ipv6 stuff on my lab, taking exam this week. read all the theory etc, know how to do it, so thot i'd implement. but hmmmmm, when i go to add the ipv6 unicast-routing command i get the %unrecognised command. when i try and add an ipv6 ip address %unrecognised command.

So i thot id play about with packet tracer and the 2620's same thing, but with the 2811's it works fine??

checked cisco's website and it says it supports ipv6 on ios 12.4 which is what theyre running.

any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Packet Tracer is a simulator, so there is some functionality missing. For the most comprehensive experience I recommend GNS3 or actual lab gear. You won't find much that Packet Tracer can't handle, but when you do it's usually important stuff.
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    check the release notes on the IOS specific to the 2610. I know its some old gear and from my recollection it doesn't support IPv6. I could be wrong though...

my .02
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IPv6 is only available [according to to Cisco] with:

Advanced IP Services
    Advanced Enterprise

It appears if you're running IP Base, IP Voice, Advanced Security, etc...that IPv6 is not supported.

Cisco IOS Packaging Customer Q&A* [Cisco IOS Packaging] - Cisco Systems

This is the reason I try to run Advanced IP Services on all my routers. Advanced Enterprise is also an option, but it seems the only thing it adds is support for antiquated protocols few use anymore.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    I've just fired up my 2610; it supports the IPv6 commands fine. Here's the output info: C2600-IK9O3S3-M, Version 12.3(26)
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Apparently 12.3 and 12.4T have completely different packaging. 12.3 has packages for every conceivable combination of protocols, whereas 12.4T has only 8 Packages aimed at four different types of users (Basic R&S, Voice, Security, and Users of Outdated Protocols).

You apparently have: IP/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES BASIC which appears to be some kind of Security Image which supports IPv6

For earlier than 12.4T, you'll probably have to check the Cisco Feature Navigator to be absolutely sure since the naming conventions were such a mess.

Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You may want to download Packet tracer.. 5.33 and 6.01 supports PV6. Should be enough to get you through CCNA
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs