Options

windows Xp tregistry editor

SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
I've seen conflicting information some places say regedt32 and others say regedit is the best

anyone know what the comptia answer is???

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Neither one is "better" than the other. A good explanation is here. If I ever have to make a registry change, I use regedit.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    Think they are both the same thing in Windows XP.

In Win NT you used to use Regedt32 to set security on registry keys, don't think you could do that in Regedit (though it's been a while!)
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    scot_doneckerscot_donecker Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Regedit.exe

Regedit.exe is the configuration editor for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. Regedit.exe is used tomodify the Windows NT configuration database, or the Windows NT registry. This editor allows you to view or modify the Windows NT registry. It supports setting security on registry keys, viewing and editing REG_EXPAND_SZ and REG_MULTI_SZ, and saving and restoring hive files. On the left side, there are folders that represent registry keys. On the right side, there are the values associated with the selected registry key.

Regedt32.exe

In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, Regedt32.exe is a small program that just runs Regedit.exe.

This is straight off the Microsoft Website.

So I do not see how one could be better than the other, but in windows xp, I would personally run rededt32.exe, because it was designed specifically to be used within the 32-bit windows environment. Although I have heard speculation about certain programs being watered down versions of themselve's in windows XP, but I think my teacher was reffering to the DOS (command prompt) build inside Windows XP.
    "If the answer was never to look to yourself, then how can you expect to find it anywhere else" -Eyedea
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Another reason is regedit has better search capabilities than regedt32. You could use either, it's personal preference.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    ^
    Exactly, its just personal preference. Regedt32.exe is a bit more colorful, thats about it. I prefer regedit.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    It doesn't matter which one you use. Pick one, any one.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    snooper47374snooper47374 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It does matter which one you pick depending on what you want to do.

If you want to search for a key - pick regedit
    If you want to change permissions of a key - pick regedt32

THe books I have read say that lots of technicians use both at the same time. They use regedit to find the key and then switch to regedt32 to do what they want.
    Going to slowly study for 290. Baby due in May.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    It does matter which one you pick depending on what you want to do.

If you want to search for a key - pick regedit
    If you want to change permissions of a key - pick regedt32

THe books I have read say that lots of technicians use both at the same time. They use regedit to find the key and then switch to regedt32 to do what they want.
    Then your book is probably a bit outdated, because it doesn't matter which one you use on Windows XP. Both regedit and regedt32 start the exact same tool (Registry Editor), both allow searching and changing permissions.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree, that is a holdover from NT/W2000. XP is a slightly different kettle of fish. I use regedit dozens of times a week and can not remember when I last used regedt32. I do however remeber that when I last used it, the reason I did was because a virus had killed regedit and I could not even get it to work renaming it regedit.com (little trick the works most times) but I was able to rename regedt32 and get it to work.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    snooper47374snooper47374 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ah... the network environment I work with is all 2000 workstations. I have Windows XP at home but have never needed the registry editor. Ok.. never noticed. My bad.
    Going to slowly study for 290. Baby due in May.