Options

RIP - config question

shellee1983shellee1983 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
When configuring rip what ip address is used under network command? Yesterday I was working attempting to configure a router (attached to a switch with two hosts attached to another router with a switch and two hosts) and I was unable to ping the network after issuing the commands...I know it has something to do with the ip address I used. I assumed that I was supposed to use the network address of the subnet of the adjacent hosts. Is that correct? or am I totally off? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When configuring rip what ip address is used under network command?
    The IP address of the local network you want to include in your RIP domain. E.g., if you have a fa0/0 interface assigned the address "3.0.0.1/8", you'd say "network 3.0.0.0", although IOS will also accept "network 3.0.0.1" and auto-fix it for you.
  • Options
    wilcochriswilcochris Banned Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You need to use the network address of the directly connected networks
  • Options
    iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    The way to think about it is that it's the network you want advertise, not the network you want to reach.

"I want to tell the other side that I have 3.0.0.0/8 directly connected to me".
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • Options
    shabeermshabeerm Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You have to configure the networks directly connected to the router you configuring

For example

#Router RIP
    #Version 2
    #network 192.168.10.0
    #network 192.168.20.0
    #no auto-summary

10.0 and 20.0 network must be directly connected to your router
    For CCNA / CCNP notes visit my blog http://sysnetnotes.blogspot.in/
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Everyone has pretty much touched on this-

The way I interpret the network command is "For the network I specify under the command, start advertising out of all interfaces I have that belong to that network."

So if you have a serial link to another router and you are running RIP and issue network 3.0.0.0 (lets say thats the network used on the serial link) then the router will say "Which interfaces do I have that belong to this network? From these interfaces, start advertising from those interfaces."
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    The IP address of the local network you want to include in your RIP domain. E.g., if you have a fa0/0 interface assigned the address "3.0.0.1/8", you'd say "network 3.0.0.0", although IOS will also accept "network 3.0.0.1" and auto-fix it for you.

That's what I thought...I must have done something else wrong.
  • Options
    That's what I thought...I must have done something else wrong.

Are you using RIP v1 or RIP v2
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Is the link between the two routers up/up?
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    shabeerm wrote: »
    Are you using RIP v1 or RIP v2

It is RIP v1

JeanM wrote: »
    Is the link between the two routers up/up?

Yes that was the 1st thing I checked.
  • Options
    JoshyJJoshyJ Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did your hosts have a default gateway set?
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    I assumed that I was supposed to use the network address of the subnet of the adjacent hosts. Is that correct? or am I totally off? Thanks.

I think it sounds like this was the issue in the initial experiment- using an adjacent network address instead of using the one on the local interface, but at the end of the day both ends of the link would be on the same network so maybe there was something else to it?
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    It's really not clear on how you have your lab setup, what I mean by that is a) are you unable to ping between the routers b) between the router and switch, or c) between switches or hosts?

If you can ping between routers but not switches - did you set #ip default-gateway on both switches?
    If you can ping between switches but not hosts - ping from each host to switch vlan management ip
    Then ping from host to it's router lan interface.

This is all of course if layer 1/2 is up/up, and also you have correct subnet/mask used.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When you issue a network command, any interfaces in that classful network will begin sending and receiving RIP routes. You can use the passive-interface command if you don't want to send updates on an interface, but still want to receive updates and advertise that subnet out other interfaces.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    It is RIP v1

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RIP Version 1 always uses automatic summarization.If you use classless IP address it wont be able to ping each other.Just wondering whats the network addresses you given in the topology.If possible try using same IP range in rip ver 2 with no auto summary command.[/FONT]
  • Options
    iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    If you can post a description of your topology, including IP addresses, or preferably a network diagram (NetPict on the top left of this page is good for that), then we can get a better idea of what you are trying to do and maybe see any problems.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • Options
    Sorry for the delayed response all...I ended up finding out where I went wrong. I "fat fingered" the IP address lol. The address I was using was 192.168.1.2 and I input 192.168.1.23...bah I have to watch this sort of thing there is no room for error on that CCENT exam. Thank you all for your prompt and helpful responses.