Options

Do any of you work somewhere whose business or services are morally ambiguous?

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
And does this have an effect on your work performance in any way? Being in IT, we tend to offer a technological service in places where technology isn't the business
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• Options
    hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    As long as I get paid I really don't care what is going on (granted it doesn't get me arrested). I do a lot of freelance work though so others may have differing opinions.
  • Options
    spartensparten Banned Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    my company likes to send out mass spam to random innocents
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I have worked at a place like that previously. It gets very difficult to handle very quickly. This place would install Windows 7 even though we didn't have any product keys, and then string the people along for upwards of 6 months before the owner would buy keys. He would then make us use every key 10 times until we could move on to the next one. He would sell used parts as new or have us fashion parts that were clearly defective so they would last long enough to get the user out the door. Those are just a few of the issues we had.

The customers were obviously pissed. The workers were as well, especially when the checks would bounce. I'd rather work for a reputable company for minimum wage than work for a shady employer for double. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Doesnt bother me whatsoever.
    My first IT job was for a small company who cut a lot of corners.
    Pirated software on almost all of our computers.
    Ripping off our colocation customers. Lying about our data centers security.

The bad thing was half of my checks were short. The owner wouldnt argue with you if you brought it up but it sucked that they tried to pay steal money from their employees.
    The owner literally would pay me out of his wallet with cash when my checks were short...

Still none of this bothered me. I am there to gain experience and a paycheck.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Getting short changed on your pay check doesn't bother you?! I need an assistant.... :D
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Getting short changed on your pay check doesn't bother you?! I need an assistant.... :D
    I meant the fact that the company was "morally wrong" didnt bother me, like the OP was talking about.
    I always got my money =D
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I worked at one that did some shady things. I won't say which. I don't think the owner had bad intent and generally had good intent, but a couple extremely shady things were done that I almost quit over. It's definitely not a position I'd want to be in again. I probably wouldn't work for company that I knew did things I had strong moral objections to beforehand, either.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I wouldn't say that any of my companies have been shady but I did do inperson repair for onforce and one time I was in the situation of diagnosing a laptop that wouldn't boot into Windows. Turns out the laptop was full of kiddie ****. icon_sad.gif And there were two little toddlers in the house so I instantly felt even more horrible. I ended up not touching the computer and claiming I couldn't get it working (didn't want to destroy evidence). I would have called the cops immediately but it was in a REALLY shady area of San Bernardino so I got the hell out of there and called the cops to let them know what happened.

Shadiest situation work-wise I was ever put into. There are some things I cannot turn a blind eye to but overall, as long as it doesn't get me or others arrested and I'm not willingly participating in it, I don't usually care
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    spike_tomahawkspike_tomahawk Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "Do any of you work somewhere whose business or services are morally ambiguous?"

Yep the Government.... I couldn't resist (2 more weeks till 3 day weekends)
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I ended up not touching the computer and claiming I couldn't get it working (didn't want to destroy evidence). I would have called the cops immediately but it was in a REALLY shady area of San Bernardino so I got the hell out of there and called the cops to let them know what happened.

I knew Iristheangel would do the right thing! :)

I also wouldn't call any of the companies I worked for "morally ambiguous." In fact, I'm an advocate for my present company! We're not perfect, but I believe we're superior to our competition in almost every way, and that comes across when I face-off against them. You shouldn't expect someone who deals irresponsibly with others to deal responsibly with you, so I wouldn't choose to work for a 'morally ambiguous' company if by that you mean one that's dishonest or acts like a thief. I wouldn't have any qualms working for a company whose management had different political, social, or religious beliefs.. as long as they weren't intolerant.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I work with a Sr Engineer who was telling me just yesterday about a company called MCI that he worked for and how there was corruption within the company.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    stiltnerstiltner Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    I work with a Sr Engineer who was telling me just yesterday about a company called MCI that he worked for and how there was corruption within the company.

You must be young. MCI Worldcom was a huge huge telecom mess. I think they turned into some other name and then got bought by like Alltel
    or something like that, who eventually got bought by AT&T I believe, and the circle of incest in telecom continues.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @codeblox - you are making me feel old. MCI was one of the largest telcos in the world. what Bernie Ebbers did at MCI Worlcomm was dispicable. MCI is now part of Verizon Business.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I may work for a company that come to find out does a lot of lame things dealing with politics and lobbying and tries to encourage employees to get involved. My department ignores it. I really do not care for companies that try and encourage employees to take part in lobbying.....
  • Options
    datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Doesnt bother me whatsoever.
    My first IT job was for a small company who cut a lot of corners.
    Pirated software on almost all of our computers.
    Ripping off our colocation customers. Lying about our data centers security.

The bad thing was half of my checks were short. The owner wouldnt argue with you if you brought it up but it sucked that they tried to pay steal money from their employees.
    The owner literally would pay me out of his wallet with cash when my checks were short...

Still none of this bothered me. I am there to gain experience and a paycheck.

As an employee I have worked for companies where my pay checks would bounce. And as a consultant, I have worked at sites where I said to myself "I better have bail money in my pocket, and my lawyer on speed-dial". icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I work for a school district that 1. Keeps everything "unreported" to the state, 2. Has rampant theft of money, supplies and technology, 3. Promotes stupid instead of trying to remove bad employees, 4. Encourages cheating, 5. Gets 2/3rds of its $200 million budget, hides a good chunk then does invest in education, 5. Lines the pockets of family and friends through new jobs, promotions and no bid contracts...I could go on but it is making me depressed. Can't wait to get out of here!!!