CCNP for a Telecommunications Technician

delorean80delorean80 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi my name is Albert, I'm new here.

I don't know if this is the right section to discuss about the Cisco CCNP R&S certification.

I'm a Telecommunications Technician with a valid CCNA. I would go ahead with my certification path and the next step is CCNP. At work I deal with routers and switches (Cisco most of the time). My main duties are Install the hardware, upgrade IOS, make a physical connection between router and PABX to deliver VOIP service, configure devices with startup config and then leave the rest of the work to the Provisioning team (the ISP team) who take care of remote connections (Test BGP, EIGRP, OSPF and so on). Since my job role is not a "CCNP" role, can I go ahead with CCNP path even I don't deal with routing protocols??
I would move to Networking Field and I need some suggestion from experts!!!

Thank you.

Comments

• iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    There's nothing stopping you. It will be harder work, and you will need to do a lot of practical study. We all have to learn somewhere, it just depends whether you are willing to put the effort in! Get some cheap routers / switches off ebay, combine with GNS3, and just practice.

EDIT: P.S, Hi Albert and welcome! Stick around, there's a lot of helpful people on here.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • delorean80delorean80 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi iamme4eva,

Thanks for your help,

I have already a couple of Routers and Switches ( Cisco 2911, 1921, 1841, 887 and 2x Catalyst 2950 and Catalyst 3560 v2 24p POE)... I think that with some patience and strong practice I can pass the exams.. but If you are a Network Manager/Engineer do you hire me with CCNP fresh in mind but with a "CCNA" job experience?
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would absolutely do it!

I just left the Telco/SP world for the Enterprise. There are very few Network Engineers i've come across in the Telco world that have technician experience with layer 1 (Punching down on 66 blocks, servicing peds or breaking T-1s out of a MUX). All the engineers that had both boots on the ground experience and Layer 2/3 knowledge were highly sought after.

Go for it!!!
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • TheNewITGuyTheNewITGuy Member Posts: 169 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thing is with Telco Network Guys is it's only up to the demarc :) and it's usually broken down to where the Engineering groups hande BGP etc outside of simple show commands and verifying configurations.
    I know that Telecom Technician and Network Engineer are two different areas. But since I work with Hardware installations, startup configurations and general cabling why I can't go ahead trying to move to Networking field... not as Senior Network Engineer of course...but as Junior Network Engineer.... a kind of "CCNP" entry level job!!!!
  • boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    It already sounds like you're doing CCNA level Network Technician type of tasks. If you get your CCNP i don't think you'll have a problem finding the job you want at all.
    It already sounds like you're doing CCNA level Network Technician type of tasks. If you get your CCNP i don't think you'll have a problem finding the job you want at all.

Yes I'm already in a CCNA level position !!!! Actually, I know more than provisioning team on Cisco Hardware. I know there is a gap between my job experience and CCNP level knowledge but I think I could go ahead with real equipment labs... I have a couple of Cisco 2911, Catalsyt 3560 L3, Cisco 1841, Cisco 2621, 2801... so I can put my hands on real equipment!!!!!!
    What do you thing guys??
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Delorean,

Last year, I was a Telecom Technician doing the same kind of installs that you do. I wanted to be the guy at the other end of the call, in a support roll, helping the technicians with the installs. Acquiring the CCNP is what enabled me to make that jump. (That and CCNA Voice) Now, I sit right next to the guys that I used to call for support, and the CCNP is one of the main reasons.

Go for the CCNP. It can only help.
    Good Luck!

Feel free to PM me if you want any details or advice.
    Thanks SharkDiver!!!!

At this moment I need suggestion on how to plan a CCNP study!!!! I have already read the ROUTE learning guide and made some lab with GNS3 and real equipment, but I'm not feel ready to book the exam. Based on your experience how did you prepare for the ROUTE exam???
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I'll poke in here.

The ROUTE FLG is a solid preparation text. Be reminded that the current CCNP series is very hands-on. With that said, you want to look out for the free LAB MANUALS (links below). That is, if you know these labs backwards and forwards, you'll be prepared for any of these topics you see on the exam.

One thing I encountered on the SWITCH exam was that it just had a lot of trivia that you just had to remember in order to be effective. (look out for that.) Iristheangel's notes are very good for this test. Also, ccnpguide.com has a lot of good notes there, available online.

As far as TSHOOT, the BullsEye videos are good prep. Another thing I would recommend is labbing up the entire topology first (it's available on Cisco's web site!)

FREE SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS:
    ROUTE exam:
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/se...06.0%20SLM.pdf (CCNP ROUTE Lab Manual)

SWITCH exam:
    https://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/86827-ccnp-switch-scheduled-take-my-notes.html (iristheangel's notes for SWITCH)
    The Online CCNP Guide
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/se...TE 6.0 SLM.pdf (CCNP SWITCH Lab Manual)

TSHOOT exam:
    TSHOOT Bull's Eye Strategy #1 - YouTube
    TSHOOT Bull's Eye Strategy #2 - YouTube
    TSHOOT Bull's Eye Strategy #3 - YouTube
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/6741-102-1-23100/TSHOOT%20Exam%20Topology.pdf (TSHOOT Exam Topology)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)