wan link at home

neolight90neolight90 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
If I wanted to emulate a wan link at home between 2 routers, can I just use to serial to serial. I dont need a CSU/DSU do I or anything like that?

Thanks
Goals 2013: CCNET [ ] CCNA [ ] CCNP [ ]

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends on the module you use, but typically no you don't.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • neolight90neolight90 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    upon investigation it appears I need a serial crossover cable DTE to DCE correct?

My question though does it matter which end is DCE or DTE, as in DCE goes into the end I set clock rate but I can set either routers to be the clock rate right?
  • PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Clock should be provided from the DCE side.
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Carpe PorcusCarpe Porcus Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Use the show controllers serial 0/1 (if that is the serial port) and if that is the DCE connector of the cable you will see DCE in the output.

Configure the port with the frame rate command.

If you don't see DCE in the output either try the show controllers command on the other serial interface where installed or swap the cable round!
    “I'm always admitting I'm wrong. That's how I eventually get to right.”
  • neolight90neolight90 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    in exams it says clock rate 64000 is that not a bit slow I could set T1 speeds instead right?
  • wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Because you are the "provider" you can set your speeds to whatever you want they just have to match on both sides. All you'll be doing is pinging and what not so 64000 is more then enough but to each their own. have fun always remember DCE = Clock (C for clock)