Options

A working (temporary) Visio file still shows after closing

JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
A Visio file on a network drive shows a matching '~.vsd' file in the same directory (ex: 'Document1.vsd' / '~$$Document1.~vsd'). This, I believe, usually means that the file is open somewhere and is being worked on or needs to be saved. This file is dated about 2 months newer than the '.vsd' file itself (has a later date of 4/22/13, as opposed to 4/3 of the '.vsd' file). Only a few people have access to it, but no one should be working in it other than myself, and I've checked the Visio program on my PC and it does not have this file open. In fact, most often the program is closed, so the file can't be open.

Is there some way to tell where or by whom this file is opened, or, is there some way to save either or both files before deleting the matching '~.vsd' file so I don't lose whatever changes have been made to either?

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is a built-in function in Windows that shows you what files on the local computer are open/locked by remote computer (which has the file open through a file share):

Select "Manage Computer" (Open "Computer Management")
    click "Shared Folders"
    choose "Open Files"
    There you can even close the file forcefully.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff