A bit off-topic

KAzzzkasKAzzzkas Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Probably silly question, but I want an answers from experienced guys.
I just wondered another day while playing with GNS3 and other stuff (sadly I have no experience in cisco real world), do network people use more command line (CLI) or GUI? It makes sense for GUI, it looks u don't need so much experience and knowledge (mostly remember all commands and order), everything is pretty straight forward and nearly anyone can setup routers properly(just enough basic networking skills). May it is not a point learning command line and just concentrate on networking? Thank you.

Comments

• iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    That would be the difference between someone attempting to be a network engineer and someone being one.

If you don't understand the CLI then it makes fault finding difficult.

If you use CLI, you control exactly what commands are in the configuration of the router. It is very specific.

I found an article on this a little while back - *digs through favourites* - Fragments » Blog Archive » Five reasons the command line interface is better than a GUI

In my opinion (I've been working on systems, not just Cisco, for about 8 years now), I would always take CLI over GUI. It is much more granular.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know any actual network engineers who don't know how to use command-line interfaces.

Why? It's more stable. It's more capable. It's faster to implement things.
  • WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    Like iamme4eva says, it's all about the command line; not just for networking stuff but server admin as well. GUI is for wimps - learn the CLI.
  • xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    Plus it magically makes you appear 100 times smarter icon_lol.gif. Changed a friends password through DOS the other day and you would have thought I had written the source codes for all of MS.
  • KAzzzkasKAzzzkas Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for an answers, it is a good encouragement to carry on studying cisco and CLI. Actually I love CLI.
  • JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
    I work for a medium size ISP. We have a third-party application that does subscriber provisioning, a GUI interface, and of course the CLI. I have seen the third-party app fail to provide provisioning or incorrect information. I have also seen the GUI not display correct information when dealing with management of remote locations and/or have other issues. The CLI always performs the same and works every time. Get familiar with it and you will not be sorry.

J
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    lol @ GUI

That's all I will say.