Is SDM still on the CCNA exam?

workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
Cisco says SDM is no longer being sold and might not be supported. Is it still tested on current (old) CCNA exam?

Cisco Router and Security Device Manager - Products & Services - Cisco Systems

Comments

• MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    Yes the SDM is still part of the (retiring) ICND1 blue print:

Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirements for a small branch office

- Enable NAT for a small network with a single ISP and connection using SDM and verify operation using CLI and ping

- Configure, verify and troubleshoot DHCP and DNS operation on a router.(including: CLI/SDM)
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's part of the syllabus and Wendell Odom includes it in his NAT chapter in the ICND1 book, but I haven't come across anyone who ever actually had a question on SDM. I noodled around with it a bit and if you know the command line - you could configure SDM in your sleep. I wouldn't focus on it for the exams unless you are confident in all the other aspects of the syllabus. It's worth having a look at just so you could recognize it if you saw it.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Souljacker wrote: »
    It's part of the syllabus and Wendell Odom includes it in his NAT chapter in the ICND1 book, but I haven't come across anyone who ever actually had a question on SDM.

Hopefully you haven't come across anyone breaking their NDA and telling you what was or was not on the exam. Regardless, it will not be discussed here.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    I didn't realize my comments broke the NDA. I've seen the same comment made all over this forum, in Paul Browning's study material, on Cisco's forums, and elsewhere. I will of course be more careful in the future.

On the actual topic of studying SDM - Wendell Odom's book provides a great explanation as well as a fully illustrated chapter on configuring using SDM.
  • workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
    Souljacker wrote: »
    It's part of the syllabus and Wendell Odom includes it in his NAT chapter in the ICND1 book, but I haven't come across anyone who ever actually had a question on SDM. I noodled around with it a bit and if you know the command line - you could configure SDM in your sleep. I wouldn't focus on it for the exams unless you are confident in all the other aspects of the syllabus. It's worth having a look at just so you could recognize it if you saw it.

I want to download and play with it a bit, but can't find it. The download page below doesn't have it. Does any of you know where to download SDM?

Download Software - Cisco Systems
    Glancing at their site all they have is the end of life notice and a link to CCP. I guess the closest you will get is CCP unless you can find it elsewhere, but that probably breaks some NDA or license to get it somewhere else.

Borrow that odom book from somone and just glance at the config screens and noodle with the CCP program. If you have ever configured a non-cisco (or even linksys) router from the web interface you probably won't have trouble with those questions. The more important thing is understanding the underlying theory - web interfaces kind of just make configuration gravy.
  • MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    I want to download and play with it a bit, but can't find it. The download page below doesn't have it. Does any of you know where to download SDM?

If you PM with your e-mail, I still have a copy I downloaded from Cisco I could send.

Re the above post: SDM was freely available for download, no license etc was needed.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)