Help desk at a hospital what to expect?

momo5momo5 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
my first IT job entry level help desk at a hospital :) anyone ever done it at a hospital before? seems like I have to get shots for diseases or something before I start @_@

Comments

• zmoney14zmoney14 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's been years ago (2004-2005), but I did it and worked my way up. Prepare for 24/7/365 coverage. We had to work rotating shifts from several different day shifts two different afternoons shifts and a midnight coverage. The beauty and benefit of working at the helpdesk was that all of our IT was internal from software and hardware to networking and application/database, so it operated very much so like a NOC.

There were days where there were tons of things to be doing, however, there were days where there was nothing to do. Also, users are a pain, as they are in general, but at the hospital, you have to deal with egos of the different clinical staff (especially the physicians), and everyone is a priority and things always need one ASAP! Users do not tend to want to give you time to help troubleshoot a problem since there focus was patient care. That is not to say that all of your users will be clinical staff. There was plenty of "office/administrative" staff that we had to provide support to.

All things aside though, I gained some seriously valuable experience, and have had a pretty successful career.