can you simulate a wan with cat 5 cables only

neolight90neolight90 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
What I mean is I have n 870 and an 880 router, neither have a serial port on them or a place to install WIC cards. Can I just use a port on the router and connect it to another router and go that way, I am guessing I need a crossover cable for that, which I will need to get, they seem to be in short supply at work
Goals 2013: CCNET [ ] CCNA [ ] CCNP [ ]

Comments

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, with a crossover cable you can simulate, just make up some IP addy's. Also, do yourself a favor, buy some CAT5E and make your own cables. It'll really help in the long run.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • neolight90neolight90 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for that, I lots of cat5 cables. my work use cat6 so is it worth taking some of there cable and practice making my own?

Is everyone using cat6?
    Goals 2013: CCNET [ ] CCNA [ ] CCNP [ ]
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't make cables or see enough value in doing so. In previous threads, the forum has been mixed on the relative value of knowing how to make cables vs. good cable inventory practices. It's not a CCNA topic. Up to you whether to study it.

If you bother, I'm sure you can find someone who values it, but that goes for any extra study. :)
  • iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    I don't make cables or see enough value in doing so. In previous threads, the forum has been mixed on the relative value of knowing how to make cables vs. good cable inventory practices. It's not a CCNA topic. Up to you whether to study it.

If you bother, I'm sure you can find someone who values it, but that goes for any extra study. :)

That's quite topical for me.

Last week I'd have had a similar attitude. I learned to make cables like 10 years ago, and have barely done it since. They are cheap enough to buy, and I always keep a pile of them at work.

However, that old crimping tool and handful of connectors that have been in the bottom of my bag forever bailed me out of a situation while I was out on a job the other day.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work for a larger company and we never make our own cables. Like others have said, they are cheap enough that we just buy them or contract a company for longer runs. However, as a student, as a concept we are expected to know how to crimp our own cables, and cross-over cables and are tested on it. I guess it depends on your situation. I might get a crimper to practice at home for school, but it would never see any use on the job.