Options

Masters Degree - The next 'MCSE'?

010101010101 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
Curious what everyone else thinks.
It seems like 10-15 years ago, almost no one had a masters degrees.
To get one ment taking time off your job and physically going to a university for 2 years.

Now I know tons of people getting them.
Last week I talked to a guy who got his 100% online(never saw the university(Norwich)) in 14 months while working a real job.
He said he just had to read a few books and write papers on the books, that's it...
14 months!!!

I have certs that took more time/effort than that.

Thoughts?
Are masters degrees about to become the next 'MCSE'

Comments

• Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's still a great accomplishment and not that many people in the US percentage-wise even have a bachelor's degree.

Much of the growth can be attributed to schools like WGU, Capella and Phoenix, etc.

My MS is from Texasicon_cheers.gif, which has a top 5 IS program, but if I had to do it over again and it was available, I would seriously consider WGUicon_cool.gif.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Perhaps it's simply the sorts of places you're working at now.

I know when I entered the field--"10-15 years ago"--I was one of the few employees who did not have a master's degree, and one even had a doctorate. A good master's degree from a good school has always been in-demand, although only slightly more-so than a good bachelor's degree from a good school. While they're not rare, they're also not common.

According to the Census Bureau, education vs wages--

Dropout - $25k
    High School - $35k
    Associate - $50k
    Bachelor's - $70k
    Master's - $80k
    Doctorate - $95k
  • Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    I don't necessarily think it is becoming the new MCSE but a graduate degree is much more accessible now with distance education.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    010101010101 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It does make me think. I spent about 13 months on my CISSP last year. I could have gotten a masters instead.
    The only issue is cost I guess.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know if they've become comparable to MCSE's, but they are definitely gaining in popularity. The issue is that so many people have them that it's almost become expected now. Even if it's not expected, there's a good chance that for any job I apply for, a bunch of guys with their Masters are applying also. My lack of one sets me apart, and most often not in a good way. It's getting to the point now that I need one just to be on equal footing.

Although, the reason I got my current job was because I lacked a high degree. The company I work for didn't want to pay Master's wages for entry level work so I beat out all the more educated folks.
    010101 wrote: »
    Last week I talked to a guy who got his 100% online...

I'm a little off topic, but Norwich is expensive. I live fairly close (about an hour in Summer, 2+ in the winter) and had thought about going there, either for an MBA or IA. Good school, beautiful campus, but too rich for my blood.

Edit: Another plus for Norwich: It's a military Academy. Some of us continue to have trouble adjusting to the change of lifestyle after getting out, and I thought this would be perfect for someone like me.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    I'm going for my masters just because I want to obtain everything I can plus it's free for me not because I need it. I have different credentials though, I have a lot of experience.
    I was a soldier and my current job valued my experience over a masters degree.

I am the biggest advocate of education but there are other ways of competing amongst the crowd. I agree with the OP 10-15 years ago hardly anyone had a masters especially where I'm from. I come from a very poor family and never thought i could go to college period. Now everyone I run into at work has one. Many have actually tried to talk like they are superior to me for having one but often find themselves feeling foolish after comparing life experience.

I hope that people on this forum seeks both a degree and a wealth of cert's cause quite honestly it can only help. I truly believe knowledge is power and rather it's a cert or a degree take what you can.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    010101 wrote: »
    Curious what everyone else thinks.

I have certs that took more time/effort than that.

Yeah...
    Write a paper about very complex stuff where you end up reading like 75 pages of articles. The paper must be hardcore follow APA rules
    every mistake will take u off points
    believe me... M.S. degrees (serious ones)
    are just pff
    not really hard sometimes, but can be the most tedious thing you've put work into
    meh
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    also have to think a few years ago higher end certs didnt expire, now they do

masters dont expire
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171

I wouldn't think about it that way. I'd suspect you'd have better job prospects with a Bachelors + CISSP rather than a Masters and no CISSP.
    A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
    B.S. - Computer & Network Security
  • Options
    Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly I think the MCSE has more weight than a masters degree. An advanced degree will make you over qualified for a lot of jobs. Employers also think they have to pay you more if you have a masters degree and will be reluctant to hire you for a lower level position. I know many guys who have more job prospects than me with the MCSE certification. Some employers prefer certs others like to see the degrees. Sometimes I will take my masters degree off my resume so I won't get the "overqualified" response from an employer. Although it is a nice thing to have, masters degrees are quickly loosing their value due to degree inflation. The one advantage a masters degree has over an MCSE is job flexibility. the MCSE prepares you for a narrow set of jobs in the IT industry, while the masters degree may broaden the range of jobs you qualify for and open up doors in other fields besides IT.
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am looking to get a Master's degree at some point, but it would be later in my career, I would say when I am 15+ years in and looking to make a transition to a director/CIO/CTO type positions, that's when a Master's degree is really helpful. I don't think a Master's degree for a technical job is really required, I think it's an overkill.

I know colleagues I work with who got their master's degrees, but they're not in IT, they work in accounting and for them, because of so much competition in the field, they go for the masters just to stand out from their peers.

The saying goes, it's better to have and not need then to need and not have. I honestly think it's an accomplishment, just like studying for a high level certification, why not go for it :), for me personally its a matter of timing, other people might have different goals.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is a master's the new MCSE? No. But in the next 10 years or so, it might become the new batchelor's.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 891 ■■■■■□□□□□
    TheProf wrote: »
    I know colleagues I work with who got their master's degrees, but they're not in IT, they work in accounting and for them, because of so much competition in the field, they go for the masters just to stand out from their peers.

Personally, I think in a harsh job environment/climate a Master's degree has value. I know people with bachelors who don't have a job. It's crazy. In a highly competitive market, you need something to set you apart.

And the other point you made about pursuing a management level job is true. A master's is going to give you the foot in the door, but obviously your experience and competence are going to be the true keys to success.

I don't think a masters will be the next MCSE. A lot of IT guys I know don't have a degree.
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have both. The MCSE has had value for me over time, but nothing compared to the actual Master's degree. For the rest of my life, the Masters has/will shape me as a person 10x more than any vendor-specific certification. Sometimes its good to stop looking at $$$ and look at how it makes a difference in day-to-day stuff. In 10 years no one will care that much about how much I know about software package "ABC" once it's retired.

If nothing else, now when I go to museums or see things in person, I can appreciate the context and understanding (of society) from all of the hard work I put into my studies. I can pass this knowledge on to my children, to my friends and family...or heck, just have a killer conversation from all of it. In the end the Master's degree does more for your life - so much more than any specific certification ever will.

To clarify - you get what you put into it, regardless of what it is. I was in a very good program and put my heart and soul into getting the most out of it. You can take the easy path or the BEST path...the easy one doesn't provide the ROI compared to one that gives you real purpose. In the end it is a paper at the destination (degree), but the journey is where the action is.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Like RoyalRaven, I plan on obtaining both. Going for MSIT: Network Management from WGU as soon as I finish my BS.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)