Options

The Greatness of Windows XP Professional

I guess you really can't begin to understand how great this OS is until you start studying it. For the past few years I have stood by it for the simple fact that it's Microsoft's newest OS. Now that I've started studying for 70-270, I'm finally starting to understand why it is such a great operating system. I guess you can't truly appreciate an OS until you know all of it's intricacies. Now I'm actually excited about Longhorn, although I truly hated the beta. Well, I guess this post had no point really. I just thought people should know that XP Pro is a great OS. :D

Cheeblie

Comments

• Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Also, I'm trying to get my posts per day on this site up to one, so I'm looking for any topic to talk about. See!

Cheeblie
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I agree, Windows XP Pro is great indeed.

I've started with Windows before version 3 and I was always saying:" hey wouldn't it be great if it could do this or that" .... in the next version it would be in it. Untill XP pro, is has and does pretty much everything I need.
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    i didn't think 98 was much better than 95 until i had used a system with it for a few months. i never had or used a system with windows me, but i got a copy of windows 2000 for my a+ study and realised it was a pretty cool operating system (though i still retained and still have 98 as the operating system on the family computer).

i upgraded some systems for a guy to windows xp and wasn't really fussed on it at the start. it just looked like windows 2000 in a windows me skin. but it does seem to be a superior system. so much so, that i am considering upgrading the family computer to it.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    chiznitzchiznitz Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    windows xp is by far the best operating system for a family computer. It's so much nicer putting the logon screen as the cute little buttons. This way my dad doesn't y ell at me for not knowing how to get on, all he has to do is click his little icon and he's in. Of course my computer has passwords and such so he can't break my goodies.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Three words (say them with me)

Fast
    User
    Switching.

Seperate profiles were one thing in Win 9x. What XP does, and how well it does it, is simply wonderful.

But there is one thing-- I wish I could install software for one user without it showing up everywhere. Sometimes you can, depending on the installer, but usually not.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Fast User Switching is something I don't use because of the performance decrease. Also since it can't be used in a domain it is rather limited. I can, however, see it being very useful on a home computer where multiple people are running programs that require little CPU time. Also make sure you have plenty of RAM to keep all those programs open.

Cheeblie
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Personally, I'm not that big on XP, even though I do run one box with it. It's an upgrade to 2000, and I have 2k pro tweaked just the way I want it. I absolutely *hated* XP when I first installed it, but when I turned some of the annoying stuff off and set the interface back to classic windows, I don't have a problem with it anymore, it's nice and all, and I may eventually upgrade my 2k box to it, all depends on whether or not I decide to take the 70-270 exam instead of the 70-210
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    curiocurio Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm with you Cheeblie, XP is an awesome OS, way too expensive but awesome none the less. When I hear people trashing it I only ever think one thing - they haven't got the first clue of what they are talking about.
  • Options
    nethersdenizennethersdenizen Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I tried XP twice for about two weeks here but I never grew to like it. Even when I had everything set to "classic" mode which doesn't seem that "classic" to me. On this Computer I have Windows 2000 Professional and that might be the last Microsoft OS I ever own. My OS of choice is FreeBSD, which you may have guest by looking at my avitar. I use it on my laptop and one desktop here, only have 2000 on this machine for games other than that I can do everything with BSD. Microsoft will keep adding new features to justify upgrades for people but not many because most people upgrade their OS when they get a new computer. Companys however tend not to upgrade unless it is really needed. Many places I've been to use NT 4.0 and have no intention of upgrading anytime soon and I agree. However XP does have it's place and is justified in its existance because 9x systems are too outdated and unstable for home users and 2000 is not geared towards home use.
  • Options
    curiocurio Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can you have a domain and share folders that retain the correct user rights between different computers? Or does the user with sid 500 also become the user with sid 500 on the next shared system - so enabling them to access anything system 2s sid 500 should own?
    Can you run MSOffice and use all the VBA functionality of the worlds favourite office suite?
    If you got a computer that has to have MS on it for playing games etc...
    Why have a second one that can't play those games?
    I can't think of anything offhand that an MS OS can't do when configured correctly - anything useful anyhow.
    I use linux fair bit myself but to suggest it is actually better - no.
    Cheaper - yes :D
  • Options
    nethersdenizennethersdenizen Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've used linux before, don't care much for it. It's was very different than BSD.