Preparations before OSCP exam

martin24martin24 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

okey so I wanted to ask what should I practice before taking exam? ( I have 29 days left to exam)...
I will tell how I went about labs so maybe that will make more preciese answers from users here ;)

So I managed to break into(got root) almost all pc`s in labs except admin network because my lab time finished( 60 days in general ). I only used metasploit for breaking into 7-9 machines, rest was done manually - I mean looking for exploits on web, rewriting stuff etc. Before taking course I had no previous certifications etc.

I know about shellcode handbook (all people say that this is useful ) but I read it and it wasnt useful at all on labs and no python books because Im already more than average on programming in python.

ps. Sorry if some stuff/parts above may seem arrogant :)
ps2. I read all kinds of reviews but nothing specific was there to help me out.

Comments

• r0ckm4nr0ckm4n Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Martin24,

It is going to depend on your personal weaknesses, so work on the areas that were toughest for you. My weakness was buffer overflows, so I went through some tutorials on corelan.be and thegreycorner.com. The reason you aren't finding a lot of details on the exam, is due to the non disclosure agreement. OSCP's aren't allowed to share info on the exam. If you go root on most of the machines, then you should be ready.
  • martin24martin24 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I understand specifics of exam(no info about it anywhere) :) I just meant that saying stuff like read this book isnt helping much...

Same here about buffer overflows and Im already working on them to get better, picking old programs and trying to recreate exploits.
  • r0ckm4nr0ckm4n Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Rooting PC's and servers in the lab was what helped me the most. What you're doing with your buffer overflow study is the best thing you can do to prepare.