Options

Do you use Books or Ebooks? and what other kind of reference materials?

halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
Hello TechExamers!

What format of book do you used the hardcopy or softcopy? Which works out better? and what other reference materials do you guys use?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eBooks - as much as possible.

Easily transportable, I dont have to lug heavy tomes around. Then I dont have to constantly look up and down when reading the book and labbing it up. Nothing beats eBooks.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    DyasisDyasis Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agree, ebooks and Kindle/nook
  • Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I loved books for a long time. Theres nothing better than the smell of pages in a new book, but they just take too much space and dust... I have decided to move to ebooks, I use my ipad although its kinda heavy.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Book books!! I LOVE books, paper, binding glue, writing in the margins....I love it all. However, my Kindle is quite nice for any kind of travel and it holds an entire library. That being said, I try to get both when possible, the e-book and the real book.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From a cost and ease of use perspective, I love eBooks. I can purchase any textbook I want and within seconds I can read it. PLUS, I see 20%-80% discounted rates compared to their physical counterparts. eBooks took some getting used to, but I like them much more now.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    halaakajan wrote: »
    What format of book do you used the hardcopy or softcopy? Which works out better? and what other reference materials do you guys use?
    I use both. And videos. And online docs. Whatever gets me the info I need as conveniently and quickly as possible!

Probably more e-Books. A subscription to Safari costs $10/mo and I get all those books NOW.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am 80% e-books with 20% paperback. If there is a book that will be with me for a long time I may go out a splurge on the regular book, but usually just an e-book.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ebooks in the Kindle App and PDF files in GoodReader app. I try and stay away from paper based books.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Books!

Maybe in ten years or so I will consider converting, right now, just too much or an advantage to a hardcover. There is potential for e books, but not for me yet.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    I purchased a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" last week and loving it. I was tempted to wait until the release of the new Nexus 7 that should be out this month but since I got this purely for reading tech books and etc. I opted for the Kindle Fire HD and went with the 8.9" for the extra screen space when viewing diagrams, etc.
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Physical books are easier for me to read. With that said, e-books are more convenient. So I use both.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I should probably emphasize "Kindle ebooks" since it is the Kindle apps in general is what I prefer. While it has DRM, Amazon made accessibility easy enough for me that I don't mind the DRM. Having the ability to read my books across many different devices even on my PC or Macbook and cross syncing notes, bookmarks, highlights, etc is what sold me on Kindle.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use a hard copy book its easy to read and you can highlight all those important key points to aid in the understanding as you read.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I like both, but eBooks are convenient when I am at work. I don't have to carry them around, can search instantly, and I am comfortable reading a screen for long hours so it makes no difference to me.
  • Options
    datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use both. And videos. And online docs. Whatever gets me the info I need as conveniently and quickly as possible!

Probably more e-Books. A subscription to Safari costs $10/mo and I get all those books NOW.
    I concur, I utilize paper / e-books, videos and any medium that I can to get the material into my brain. However, I must admit that for magazines I am somewhat partial to paper, though I do value it if the mag has a digital counter-part as well, which in this era is falling by the wayside with the demise of print media.