Cisco Lab Question

robp12robp12 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm currently studying for my CCNA, with the CCENT scheduled on August 13th. I'm using Todd Lammle's book, CBT Nuggets and the CCNA in 60 days guide to pace my studies. However, I would like to construct a home lab to work on to improve my skills. Jeremy from CBT Nuggets recommends the Cisco 871w router and I was wondering if that would be sufficient for purposes of a CCNA lab? Also, according to Cisco's website, the 871w is no out of date and they recommend using the 881w. Would the 871w or 881w be enough to get the job done?

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
Rob
Currently Studying:
Northwestern University - Masters of Science, Information Systems GPA 4.0
CCNA certification

Completed: Elon University - BSBA, Marketing May 2012

Comments

• theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No. While, you can do some things with a single router, you need at least 3 and preferably 4 to be able to lab everything covered by CCNA. The 800 Series are kinda limited to me. The 800 series have less expansion options, and more limited IOS choices (only 1-3 flavors for most of the 800 series - the 850 only offers Advanced Security which is why it did not support IPv6, while both the 830 and 870 series did) than routers like the 1700, 2600, and 2800. The main advantage of an 870 would be that it is an ISR Router and cheaper than lets say an 1841 or 2811/2821, which means it would support IOS 15, though only a handful of packages/versions, unlike the 1800/2800 series.

Personally, if you can afford it, I would suggest 3 or 4 rack-mountable routers like the 1760, 2600(XM), 1800, and/or 2800 series. The 1760 is the cheapest. It include 2 WIC Slots for adding modules like a WIC-1DSU-T1 or WIC-1T or WIC-2T. The 2600 series cost a little more (not much more) and don't run 12.4T except in the XM variety, but there is no reason you can't have one in the mix. They include an NM Slot, which makes them an ideal Frame Relay DCE. The 2600XM cost about $75 each, but will run 12.4T. For that, I would just spend the extra $25-50 and get a 2811 or 2821, which can run IOS 15.

[EDIT] If you can't afford real equipment, you can use Packet Tracer or GNS3, though the former is technically only available to Netacad Students. Both are very good programs which will simulate or in the case of GNS3 emulate real equipment. They have their limitations, such as limited module support, but they are sufficient for many labs.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • robp12robp12 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    No. While, you can do some things with a single router, you need at least 3 and preferably 4 to be able to lab everything covered by CCNA. The 800 Series are kinda limited to me. The 800 series have less expansion options, and more limited IOS choices (only 1-3 flavors for most of the 800 series - the 850 only offers Advanced Security which is why it did not support IPv6, while both the 830 and 870 series did) than routers like the 1700, 2600, and 2800. The main advantage of an 870 would be that it is an ISR Router and cheaper than lets say an 1841 or 2811/2821, which means it would support IOS 15, though only a handful of packages/versions, unlike the 1800/2800 series.

Personally, if you can afford it, I would suggest 3 or 4 rack-mountable routers like the 1760, 2600(XM), 1800, and/or 2800 series. The 1760 is the cheapest. It include 2 WIC Slots for adding modules like a WIC-1DSU-T1 or WIC-1T or WIC-2T. The 2600 series cost a little more (not much more) and don't run 12.4T except in the XM variety, but there is no reason you can't have one in the mix. They include an NM Slot, which makes them an ideal Frame Relay DCE. The 2600XM cost about $75 each, but will run 12.4T. For that, I would just spend the extra $25-50 and get a 2811 or 2821, which can run IOS 15.

[EDIT] If you can't afford real equipment, you can use Packet Tracer or GNS3, though the former is technically only available to Netacad Students. Both are very good programs which will simulate or in the case of GNS3 emulate real equipment. They have their limitations, such as limited module support, but they are sufficient for many labs.

Thanks for the detailed response, I appreciate it. I did download GNS3 a few days ago, but I don't have the Cisco IOS. Forgive my ignorance, but what are the ways to obtain the Cisco IOS? Do you have to purchase Cisco gear to have the IOS or are there other methods for GNS3?
    Currently Studying:
    Northwestern University - Masters of Science, Information Systems GPA 4.0
    CCNA certification

Completed: Elon University - BSBA, Marketing May 2012
    There are places you can download IOS. Technically, they aren't licensed, but...If you lookup which IOS is supported on Cisco Feature Navigator and plug the image name into Google, you can find them.

For example,

c1700-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T14.bin
    c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T14.bin

You can also get a copy of IOS off of a router if you have 1 of the same series.
  • bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    There are places you can download IOS. Technically, they aren't licensed, but...If you lookup which IOS is supported on Cisco Feature Navigator and plug the image name into Google, you can find them.

For example,

c1700-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T14.bin
    c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T14.bin

You can also get a copy of IOS off of a router if you have 1 of the same series.

Is the Cisco IOS interchangeable between routers and switches?
    bbarrick wrote: »
    Is the Cisco IOS interchangeable between routers and switches?

No. But, you can download IOS for switches directly from Cisco (Download Software - Cisco Systems). They restrict Router IOSes [and things like CUCM] to those with a SmartNet contract. GNS3 won't simulate a Catalyst switch (It does support EtherSwitch modules in a router, but they are too different from a Catalyst switch to be of much use for CCNA), but you can buy 2950 Switches for about $25/each. Check eBay and/or Routers Wholesale. There are some older, slightly cheaper switches [though make sure they run IOS and not the older CatOS], but for $25 I'd just go with the 2950.
  • bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks, theodoxa. I've got a couple of 2950's from ebay but they don't seem to support ssh. I'm not sure if that's a feature that wasn't available in the build of 12.1 they are running? I haven't done hardly anything with them yet though, but I'll look into upgrading their IOS once I start labbing with them on a pretty regular basis.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    bbarrick wrote: »
    Thanks, theodoxa. I've got a couple of 2950's from ebay but they don't seem to support ssh. I'm not sure if that's a feature that wasn't available in the build of 12.1 they are running? I haven't done hardly anything with them yet though, but I'll look into upgrading their IOS once I start labbing with them on a pretty regular basis.

Upgrade the IOS and you'll get SSH :)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
    JeanM wrote: »
    Upgrade the IOS and you'll get SSH :)

Assuming you have a basic 2950, the IOS would be:

c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA14.bin

Cisco Systems

Download the one labelled: "C2950 EI AND SI IOS CRYPTO IMAGE"