frame relay switching

AceAllAceAll Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
what is purpose behind using the frame relay switching configuration commands ?
let me know
A is for academics, B is for beer. One of those reasons is why I'm not here. So leave a message

Comments

• ziggyziggy Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    AceAll wrote:
    what is purpose behind using the frame relay switching configuration commands ?
    let me know

?? not sure what you are asking, give a couple of examples of a "frame relay switching configuration command"
  • AceAllAceAll Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    for instance there are two routers R1 and R2 and there is a frame relay connection between them and the dlci of R1(201) and R(202) are given

hostname FRswitch

frame-relay switching

interface serial 0
    no ip address
    encapsulation frame-relay
    clock rate 56000
    no shutdown
    frame-relay intf-type dce
    frame-relay route 202 interface serial1 201

I didnt understand why the ip address are not configure in this case. ??
    A is for academics, B is for beer. One of those reasons is why I'm not here. So leave a message
  • ziggyziggy Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I think...

In that particular simulation question, there are three routers, R1, R2, and the FRswitch router.

Normally, a telco will provide the frame relay switch, however, in this example, the FRswitch router becomes the frame relay switch.

Therefore the command "frame-relay switching" tells that router that it is a frame relay switch.

It does not need an ip address as frame relay is a layer 2 protocol. The DLCI's will be routed through the FRswitch router with the command "frame-relay route 202 interface serial1 201"

The frame-relay route interface configuration command is used to route an incoming DLCI to an outgoing interface and corresponding outgoing DLCI.

IP Routing will be the responsibilty of R1 and R2.

icon_cool.gif
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OK, you can using a back to back FR connection which use one of the router to be the FRS. i'm not sure if your FR network will work without FRS or FR route command in one of the router.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    Those commands allow you to simulate telco's frame relay switch to create your own frame-relay network. Probably not that necessary for CCNA studies, but at least used to be critical for CCIE lab study.

Yankee