Is it possible to get ip assigned by dhcp in cisco packettracer

hitmenhitmen Banned Posts: 133
This question is more related to ciscopackettracer than CCNA.

Basically I realized that packettracer only allows static ip to be assigned to host.

Dhcp assignment of ip address doesnt seem to work.

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.0.1
!
ip dhcp pool pool1
network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 192.168.0.1

Can any experts help

Comments

• SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The answer is yes.

As far as the reason your configuration isn't working - there are debug commands to view dhcp server events but as a more basic thing to check, make sure that your ethernet cards in the client machines are set to dhcp and not static. Hint: It's not the first place "Static" is selected when you click on the tab.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @hitmen - DHCP works quite fine in Packet Tracer - I just checked.

@Souljacker - interestingly, when I set the gateway to be assigned by DHCP under GLOBAL (the first place STATIC can be selected), the IP address was changed to DHCP automagically under INTERFACE (the other place).
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    @hitmen - DHCP works quite fine in Packet Tracer - I just checked.

@Souljacker - interestingly, when I set the gateway to be assigned by DHCP under GLOBAL (the first place STATIC can be selected), the IP address was changed to DHCP automagically under INTERFACE (the other place).
    Just checked myself, and you're right! It surely does. But - there is nothing wrong with his config as written so it's either his clients aren't set to dhcp or he forgot to like add an interface ip or something.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I seem to remember that Packet Tracer defaults to static addressing and you have to manually select DHCP on each PC's configuration tab.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    I seem to remember that Packet Tracer defaults to static addressing and you have to manually select DHCP on each PC's configuration tab.

You are correct.

Here is my config:
    ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.10.25 192.168.10.26
    !
    ip dhcp pool test
    network 192.168.10.24 255.255.255.248
    default-router 192.168.10.25
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/0
    description LAN for DHCP
    ip address 192.168.10.25 255.255.255.248
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    !

On the PC or laptop, go to the desktop tab, IP configuration, click DHCP.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Souljacker wrote: »
    Just checked myself, and you're right! It surely does. But - there is nothing wrong with his config as written so it's either his clients aren't set to dhcp or he forgot to like add an interface ip or something.

He has included the ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.0.1 command, so I take it that he has assigned this address to the router interface connected to the host. Who knows, maybe he forgot to bring up the interface with the no shutdown command?
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    He has included the ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.0.1 command, so I take it that he has assigned this address to the router interface connected to the host. Who knows, maybe he forgot to bring up the interface with the no shutdown command?

Or he connected the switch\clients to the wrong interface that doesn't have an IP. There's only one in 5.3 that has only one eth port. He hasn't been back, so I guess he figured out his issue.