Options

Let met get get some advise to see if I think it can do it.

neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
Alright, I am still lagging behind in certifications and probably will have to get my tail in gear in the next 6 months. Here is my question. I will be getting a Bachelors in Applied Arts and Science in Web and Media and Design come Dec, I have 2 classes right now and 4 in the fall including a Java and SQL Database class with the head of the department as a teacher. My question is this if I want to start out in IT, cause thinking about it designing web pages I am thinking I might not be able to make all the money I would like doing it but can probably do on the side,

1. What certifications would I need to get in to Help Desk? A+ and Network + or what other certifications?
2. Do you think my Bachelors Degree will be enough to get in the door at least for interviews with some certifications?
3. I am about to be 41, is that something that is going to be a negative to employees?
4. I have a degree in A.A.S. in drafting.

I am guessing people started off in help desk or did some of you start off further then that? I have been working for the state for 18 years, I have pretty well concluded at this late stage of the ball game that I will be doing the same grunt work from what I am thinking now . My boss is not really giving me good feedback about what it is store for me after my degree since I work for engineers, the Head programmer here kinda of I felt shot things down with me a while back when I asked about the programming position he had open(that has since be filled). His first response was you need a Bachelors which I think sometimes exp out weights education even though its important. The last thing I heard from our office manager was that I was being honest with him and saying I didn't know Java or some of the other programming languages that the Head Programmer wanted me to know and I was told well let me talk to him and see what happens. At this point I think I pretty well excuse me (screwed). I am loading up my resume here come Oct or Nov and fishing it out there and see who bites.

Another question I have is this, and money is important to a degree, do you think I can make in 5 years considering my age and stuff about 80k in 5 years or less? I guess my last question is this I have some management exp through a grocery store, like 7 years worth on the front end, do you think that can benefit as well? I appreciate everyone's comments and opinions and thanks for the help.
BAAS - Web and Media Design
Working on A+

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To answer some of your questions. For help desk certs the A+ is good, network+ can be helpful too. A bachelors would be helpful in checking the box that says "do you have a 4 year degree" no matter what your major was if you are just starting out, obviously the more IT related the better if there is a lot of competition for the job.

I wouldn't really discount web development as not making enough money if you can actually code and design. There will always be people offering 300 dollar wordpress sites where they don't know what they are doing, but good designers can still make a nice living. Just throwing it out there if you are considering mostly tossing the design/development classes and going for helpdesk instead.

I wouldn't think being 40 is a bad thing, it's not old enough to be considered "old" and some places might think you are a little more mature than someone half your age going for the same job.

You don't have to start off at helpdesk, but with no IT experience it's going to be hard to start further along than that, it also depends on the size of the business too. If it's a much smaller place that needs you to wear a lot of different hats you might get to call yourself whatever you want and get exposed to a lot of different technology.

Also for management, if you want to do IT management I'd imagine you'd want IT experience, I'm not really sure grocery store management experience will translate into exactly what most businesses are looking for, it could be something you could move into later though.