Options

SM-SRE-900-K9 - Too Good to be True?

2»

Comments

• Options
    adventureradventurer Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm also keen to know if this will work with 2x 8GB RAM. And if it can fit normal height RAM which is dirt cheap compared to low profile RAM.

sre-v-k9-r.SPA.smv.2.0.2 can be found at a "website" if you google hard enough.

I'm still waiting for my SRE-900 to show up, mail man lost track of it icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    pccespcces Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I now have 10GB recognised on the SM-SRE-900

My actual usage has made it up to 9.5GB

1x IBM Micron 8 GB (1x 8GB) 4Rx4 PC2-5300P DDR2 667 CL5 ECC REG
    1x Original 2GB ram SG572568FG8P6ILMH0

It will probably do 16GB but I don't plan to buy another stick of RAM yet.

I got the 8GB IBM RAM used online for $50 AUD

The normal height RAM won't fit inside the router.

No luck on a sre-v-k9-r.SPA.smv.2.0.2 that actually downloads.
  • Options
    I will certainly try 2x 8GB when I finally receive the SRE. Intend to run a couple of VMs for security, storage, etc.

The download link that I have still works, but I'm having trouble finding a way to send you a private message.
  • Options
    boot diag hardware test fails with over 8GB of RAM but VMware will still recognize it.
    There may be adverse effects going over 8GB.

The SM-SRE-900 module won't be recognized by a 2921 ISR if it is populated by 16GB of RAM.
    Still recognized with 10GB. Worth testing with 12GB but I don't have any 4GB sticks.

I successfully bricked my SM-SRE-900 for about 6 hrs. Really ruined my day
    Possibly not shutting down the service engine before rebooting the router caused the corruption of a drive.

The normal re-installation method didn't not work, so I had to re-installing using the boot loader helper which is access by monitoring the service module session at boot.

I sent a friend request, if it lets me send private messages I'll share some contact details.
  • Options
    boot diag hardware test fails with over 8GB of RAM but VMware will still recognize it.
    There may be adverse effects going over 8GB.

The SM-SRE-900 module won't be recognized by a 2921 ISR if it is populated by 16GB of RAM.
    Still recognized with 10GB. Worth testing with 12GB but I don't have any 4GB sticks.

I successfully bricked my SM-SRE-900 for about 6 hrs. Really ruined my day
    Possibly not shutting down the service engine before rebooting the router caused the corruption of a drive.

The normal re-installation method didn't work, so I had to re-installing using the boot loader helper which is access by monitoring the service module session at boot.

I sent a friend request, if it lets me send private messages I'll share some contact details.
  • Options
    Thanks for letting me know 16GB won't work.
    If you don't have any further use for the additional 8GB stick, I might buy it off you.

Just receive the SRE yesterday, did some testing last night. Installed sre-v-k9-r.SPA.smv.2.0.2.zip
    But noticed it shows up as 2.0.1.0 so maybe it's not worthwhile for you to install again.

Service Module is Cisco SM1/0 Service Module supports session via TTY line 67 Service Module is in Steady state Service Module heartbeat-reset is enabled Getting status from the Service Module, please wait.. Cisco SRE-V Software 2.0.1.0 VMware ESXi 5.1.0 build-1065491 running on SRE Module resource information: CPU Frequency: 1862 MHz Memory Size: 4067 MB Disk 0 Size: 500108 MB Disk 1 Size: 2055 MB Disk 2 Size: 500108 MB No install/uninstall in progress No localstoreThen I proceed to reload the router, leaving the SRE running. It works fine, even the running VMs stay alive during the router reload. So not sure how did you brick it.

Seems like adding the friend request did not open up any option to send a message. Tell you what, look for me in Whirlpool forum. Same username. I believe you have to search for a thread that I have written in and then send me a message.
  • Options
    Not sure how I bricked it. I would have turned the router off at the switch though. I power it down when I'm not using it, the noise gets to me after a while. That's cool that it keeps running through a reboot!

So I now shut the module down with "service-module sm 1/0 shutdown"

I sent one sm-sre-900 out on a tour running mikrotiks CHR dude software. I'll post if it has any issues.
  • Options
    An update on the memory situation.

It doesn't boot with 1x 8GB and 1x 2GB installed.
    1x 8GB by itself works fine.

So I can never get this thing to properly boot with more than 8GB of memory.
  • Options
    Not sure what the difference between out setups is but I have 10211MB running with 1x 8GB and 1x 2GB sticks.

Let me know if you need some other diags or part numbers

r0#service-module sm1/0 status
    Service Module is Cisco SM1/0
    Service Module supports session via TTY line 67
    Service Module is in Steady state
    Service Module heartbeat-reset is enabled
    Getting status from the Service Module, please wait..
    Cisco SRE-V Software 2.0.1.0
    VMware ESXi 5.0.0 build-474610 running on SRE

Module resource information:
    CPU Frequency: 1862 MHz
    Memory Size: 10211 MB
    Disk 0 Size: 1000000 MB
    Disk 1 Size: 2055 MB

No install/uninstall in progress

No localstore
  • Options
    Just had a scarey moment rebooting SM-SRE-900.

ServicesEngine boot-loader> boot disk
    Loading disk:/bzImage ... done.
    Unable to load image
    Error: Cannot mount selected partition (17)
    Unable to boot image

Main memory test (1 of 5) is in progress...
    Main memory test failed.KB

I removed the 2GB stick. Its now back to 8GB and it booted fine.

Going to play it safe on 8GB RAM for a while and see if the problem returns.
  • Options
    That was scary indeed... yeah probably it's just unreliable on 8+2GB.

I have it happily running on 1x 8GB. ESXi memory overcommitment handles it quite well even when I have more VM memory assigned than physical memory available.
  • Options
    SimonSparksUKSimonSparksUK Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know this thread is quite old now but I thought I would reply as I have had a lot of luck configuring and upgrading my SRE 900.

I have successfully install VMware vSphere ESXi v6.0 Update 3.

AY1vzPi-ESXi.pngAY1vzPi-ESXi.pngAY1vzPi-ESXi.pngAY1vzPi-ESXi.png
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Some good info here guys! Nice to see this thread still alive! :D

And welcome SimonSparksUK!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    privategaudyprivategaudy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello to all readers,
    I'd like to expand this thread into 2018, if I may...and I do apologize for jumping right in without anything to offer but questions...
    My name is André, I'm not exactly a 24/7 technician, but proud owner of a 2951router and, meanwhile, of a SM-SRE-910-K9. As you might know, this interesting hardware can be had for comparatively small money nowadays - so I thought, I'll get me one and try to install a linux-based system on my own.
    And there the trouble starts. Apparently, the SM has the SRE-V/ESXi 5.0 still on it, but I cannot login since the previous owner has left the root account password-protected. The Ebay dealer I got it from says he has no info. Unfortunately, there is no pwd-reset via router console possible. I know there's the unofficial way by getting a linux started "nearby" to access the device where the ESXi is, mount, decompress etc, edit pwd shadow file etc. Is somebody out there who has deeper notion of the inner workings of the SM, could that be accomplished in any way? I searched Cisco site and googled up and down, but I'm unable to find extensive documentation on the SM - is there any? Any advice where to look?
    The official way to reset the password is to re-install, of course - meaning I am in desperate need of the before-mentioned software package (boy, I DO hope the adventurer is still around)....
    Last resort would be to erase all - but I fear I might get completely stuck. I saw Cisco offered these service modules without any software, so I was naively thinking it should be possible to treat this as any ordinary PC - I guess it could be done if one knew the format of the tcl file guiding the installation process onto the flash. OTOH, there's the bootloader which could be directed to boot from disk (it is looking for a bzImage file) - has anybody tried that one?

Phew - sorry if I got to talkative - I'm all "ears" for any advice.

Have a good time,

André
  • Options
    Just a quick follow up I now have ESXi v6.5 Update 1 running on my SRE-900
  • Options
    Send me your contact details and I will send you the software for SRE-V on your SRE-910
  • Options
    privategaudyprivategaudy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Send me your contact details and I will send you the software for SRE-V on your SRE-910
    Hello Simon, thanks for caring... Just replace the letter "e" in my nick with the "at" sign and append DOT de - thats it. I'm curious how you did the upgrade and what are the specific advantages to be achieved in relation to 5.0.0? BTW, I managed to kill the PW icon_smile.gif - it was a kind of challange, but lo! and behold, it worketh! Wouldn't mind to get hold of the SW anyway. Regards, André
  • Options
    205sting205sting Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,just came across this interesting thread. I have an SRE-910 that currently has WAAS installed and I would like to install SRE-V but I cannot find a 'source' for sre-v-k9-r.SPA.smv.2.0.2.zip.Simon, I would be most interested to see how you installed ESXi v6.5. If you have a moment perhaps you could outline the basics.RegardsNeil
  • Options
    theunftheunf Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Simon, I´m running V6U3 also... had to run manually each vib update and sometimes had to uninstall one or two drivers.

How did you got from 6U3 to 6.5 latest ? Can you post here an attachment with just the list of commands and software that you´ve used?

BTW, if sre reboots or have to turn off/on the 2911, I have to run a session from router to SM to manually do a boot chainloader even if the show config already have it.

If you have the full sre-2.0 to 6.5 list of commands and vibs without this boot issue, I´ll give a try and rebuild it.

• Options
    theunftheunf Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So, lets make it quick: 2 questions on 1 message icon_cool.gif

1:
    I´ve heard only bad news about replacing HDDs ... but had anyone installed sre using only the 1st hdd and replaced it AFTER installing ? I guess, replacing the sata for a ssd disk ?

2:
    I know that VMware cannot present more vcores to a VM than what it has physically ... I mean, 900/910 has a core2duo without hyperthreading (which is a shame but an Intel´s limitation) and I need to run Palo Alto Panorama on my lab.
    As Panorama requires 4 cores minimal, it runs very inconsistently.

Any trick to virtualize 2 more cores to it?
    Have anyone replaced VMWare ESX for KVM or any other virtualization solution ?