Options

How long to stay at a job for?

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
How long would you stay working for one job if your fte? I was a contractor for 1 year then got hired on as a FTE, i have been a fte a little over a year. Technically i've been doing my job for 2 years 2 months. I am working towards getting my MCSA 2012, is it ok for my to apply for another position w/in my company after over a year and a half? im currently a service desk analyst (answering phones) and trying to get into our technical operations center (system admin)

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    That depends on company policy. Most I have worked at require 12+ months in your current position before applying for another internal position.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    +1. Read your company's policy or ask HR if you're not sure where to find it.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would say on average you don't want to have less than 2 years at each company if you are full time. You might only spend 18 months at one job then 3 years at the next. If I see a cv with lots of short stints and they are not a contractor I start to ask questions.

I think 5 weeks is the shortest I have been in a job before I got a promotion.

18 months is plenty of time to have been working to start looking at premotion. But really when it's internal it's not the length of time it's have you shown your ready for the next step. The company if it has a position and think you can do the job well, will not care if you have been there 5 years or 5 months.
    I suggest
    if you see an opening talk to a more senior member of staff. Your boss if you can toask them what they think.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    2 - 2.5 years is my cycle at a job. I've been at this company the longest though but took a new job in October, that would have been at 23 months. Intending to stay here for 2 years or CCIE offers are made once I have my number.

Hope that comes across as "confident and optimistic" and not "cocky"
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Depends on the job, the company & where you are at in your career. I'm trying to find a company I can retire.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You move on when your professional growth slows or stops, or a greater opportunity presents itself (career or salary wise). There isn't any one size fits all rule of thumb for a length of time to stay.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say 2+ years minimum at a place looks best on a resume, but if it's an internal move then I don't see why you need to wait. Most places i've worked at only require 6 months in a position when applying for another internal spot. You said you've been there for over a year and a half so don't wait....go for it!

Good luck.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Everyone has their own preferences. I figured I would be out of my position (first IT career job) and moving on within a year or two since the company is fairly small (75 users, 2 IT personnel).

I had my 3 year review a couple weeks ago and got a real nice salary bump for the 3rd year in a row. No intention on leaving in less than another year or two.

Don't stay for too short of time and don't plan on being a lifetime employee for a company.

I have applied and received offers in the last couple years at other places. Multiple benefits to that.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    blargoe wrote: »
    You move on when your professional growth slows or stops, or a greater opportunity presents itself (career or salary wise). There isn't any one size fits all rule of thumb for a length of time to stay.

I take this stance 110%. I am all for spending a year or two at a company, but if a new and challenging opportunity comes along I will take it. If asked at an interview, I simply state that a more challenging position was presented that allowed for further growth and responsibility. Assuming you are moving up, I don't think anyone will have any major qualms.

That said, keep in mind that if you are blowing through jobs now, you will eventually hit a point where it isn't quite so easy to move up. A lack of movement isn't ALWAYS a bad thing assuming you are still learning and growing in your job.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It totally depends on what your goals are. If your goals are to increase salary at the fastest rate possible, you'll probably stay with employers for a shorter amount of time than the guy looking to gain experience, or the person later in his/her career looking for a place to retire.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just make sure your CV dosen't have any two line job descriptions. New employers or when you go for a promotion, want to see progression in the previous jobs. Wither you had the job 6 weeks or 6 years it does not matter. If you can demonstrate that you have brought something to the company and are progressing in your career then your will be considered for a promotion.

On the other hand if you are stagnate in your career and development then no matter how long you are in a job its not going to be time to apply for a promotion.

The only time I would take a moment to consider if it is the right time for a promation is during a persons probation, They would have to be pretty outstanding to be considered at that point. But I would never say no just based on time in role.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Ronikaw0826Ronikaw0826 Registered Users Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Just make sure your CV dosen't have any two line job descriptions. New employers or when you go for a promotion, want to see progression in the previous jobs. Wither you had the job 6 weeks or 6 years it does not matter. If you can demonstrate that you have brought something to the company and are progressing in your career then your will be considered for a promotion.

On the other hand if you are stagnate in your career and development then no matter how long you are in a job its not going to be time to apply for a promotion.

The only time I would take a moment to consider if it is the right time for a promation is during a persons probation, They would have to be pretty outstanding to be considered at that point. But I would never say no just based on time in role.

Ditto. This makes pure sense. To add, you always need to think about YOU. If you feel like you are okay where you are then fine. Stay stagnate. If you feel unfulfilled especially with your MCSA then move up the ladder as much as possible.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ask HR

+1 - that means it stays (well, should anyway) confidential when you ask this question so you won't raise any eyebrows of your manager.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It always is great to try to get promoted in company and move up to a different job title, in fact bosses many times encourage this in my experience.
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula
  • Options
    blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    That depends on company policy. Most I have worked at require 12+ months in your current position before applying for another internal position.
    Christmas doesn't happen every month.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    blargoe wrote: »

Excellent point. I've been at my current position for 5 years now, longer than I thought, but it allowed me time to earn my degree. Since a better opportunity presented itself, I am moving on now.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like to shoot for 2 years even though I have been apart of some really short term projects. 3 months to 6 months. My last job that was over a year was 3+ years ago. Finally landed an FTE position and looking to stay here for at least 2 -3 years. Almost at the 4 month mark and feels really good.
  • Options
    epcgepcg Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with Psoasman. But at least a year. But after a year at the same company they should want you to want to move up. It shows you like where you work and want to stay. I've been at my job over 5 and half years. If I stay some day could move up. However I'll keep looking till that day comes.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My job-jumps range from 5 years to 5 hours lol ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p