Options

So I just had my first job interview

subsooner711subsooner711 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been in the military for the last 9 years. Decided to get out, and ended up with my first interview today. Interview was for an entry level IP tech at a NOC.

I think it went well about the only technical question I received was about the OSI model. I gave him a rundown of the different layers, and a little bit about them, and that was about it for technical questions. He asked me about job experience which is mainly dealing with radio communications.

He explained that it is a demanding, fast paced environment, and that things ramp up pretty quickly. He said he tells people this so they don't get the wrong idea, and that they know what they are getting themselves into. He followed that up with, "Does that scare you off?". I obviously said not at all.

He said that I am hurt by lack of experience, and that he wished I had already finished my CCNA, and that they require it to be completed within 90 days of being hired on full time. He followed that up with he was impressed that I self studied for the CCENT, and that he knows I received good technical training in the military. At the end of the interview he was talking about having vets that work at the company, and that they do like to employ them, and that they may just have to take a chance on me.

He said he will have a decision made by the 22nd. I feel like it is going to be torture waiting to find out. I hate being negative, but I feel like my lack of experience is going to hurt a bit too much this time around.

Comments

• Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats.

Keep looking and plowing. What I've learned over the course of interviewing and what not is is that they can find or make up what ever reason they want to not give you a chance. He knew what your experience was like before bringing you in correct? At that point you shouldn't feel bad about having a lack of it, because it shows a lack of reading comprehension to me. You have self-studied and got the CCENT already, so you are doing what you need to do.. just keep it up. The waiting will be torture if you don't have anything else to put that energy into, so if you are still self-studying just go ahead and get to the books, and keep improving yourself. Three years ago I was in the same boat, and hearing the same mess about lack of experience. 1 opportunity came where what they needed me and the job didn't require a lot of experience... I was there a full year.. and just like that.. I had experience, and never heard that critique again. So a lot of times its just what it is... it may take 10 interviews to find someone to give you your first good chunk of change, but don't let that get you down.. the more you learn and are able to have command of your craft, the less likely someone will let a possible gem slip through their hands. So congrats, stay positive. Work towards the CCNA and your time will come.. just be ready.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats on that first job interview.... icon_cheers.gif Its a good milestone. Good luck with the job hunt.
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good stuff and good luck! It's tough at first but it gets easier with time!
  • Options
    b18c195b18c195 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    good luck let us know how it goes, the waiting game sucks im in the same boat havent heard back after a interview either icon_sad.gif