Options

Nightshift I.T. work

missjanayamissjanaya Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
After sending out many resumes and crossing fingers and toes and anything else I have gotten a job as a Tier 1 Service Desk Analyst. The only catalyst is that its on 3rd shift. I don't think this will be a problem I had a help desk/service desk a while ago and I think I can handle it. The only thing is I have never worked third shift before. Does anyone have suggestions or tips? I will be doing like 7pm to 7am. I am hoping this will free up time to allow me to study for my A+. Please share any experience working I.T. on the night shift

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the forum!

Get some good blackout curtains.

I used to work midnight to 8:00 am and would normally get home and go to sleep within an hour and sometimes take a nap before going in.

That's a long shift, so you definitely have study time available for study. Graveyard at my work is generally quiet, but you'll likely have to be more self-sufficient when working on issues.
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've worked 3rd shift and personally I loved it. 7pm to probably midnight you may be taking calls not sure where you are located but my help desk we support the entire US so 8pm Eastern time people on the west coast are just going home. Expect some down time but expect some projects. Seeing as your not doing the typical help desk duties during the middle of the night other than manning the phone encase someone calls you'll probably get given a lot of projects and repetitive tasks.

Some examples installing software on multiple PCs, gathering information etc. If your not tasked with anything I'm sure the number one answer you'll get from people here on the board is STUDY for your next certification. You got the time work towards bettering yourself and your using your time wisely. Although nobody knows what to expect and the responsibilities you'll be given as 3rd shift until you get there.
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wweboy wrote: »
    I've worked 3rd shift and personally I loved it. 7pm to probably midnight you may be taking calls not sure where you are located but my help desk we support the entire US so 8pm Eastern time people on the west coast are just going home. Expect some down time but expect some projects. Seeing as your not doing the typical help desk duties during the middle of the night other than manning the phone encase someone calls you'll probably get given a lot of projects and repetitive tasks. Some examples installing software on multiple PCs, gathering information etc. If your not tasked with anything I'm sure the number one answer you'll get from people here on the board is STUDY for your next certification. You got the time work towards bettering yourself and your using your time wisely while getting paid. Although nobody knows what to expect and the responsibilities you'll be given as 3rd shift until you get there.

Fixed :D