Network+ vs. CCENT

Is there any reason to get Network+ over CCENT?

In terms of price, CCENT wins being half the cost of Network+
By recognition, it might be a toss up as CCENT is still relatively new compared to Network+, but I see CCENT taking the lead in terms of entry level network certifications soon if they haven't already.
In terms of practicality, CCENT wins as it actually requires hands on configuration

Another plus of CCENT is that it makes up 1 of 2 tests to attain the CCNA certification, arguably the standard for anyone wanting to really get into networking. You have 3 years to go from CCENT to CCNA should you want to continue into networking.

So this all just begs the question of why anyone would choose to take the Network+ over the CCENT as I've seen so often on this board.
On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
Scheduled for: Unscheduled
Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs

Comments

• Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it was my personal choice I would've done CCENT over Net+, but Net+ is a requirement in my school, and so was CCNA (including ccent). They payed for the books, and training all I had to was pay to take the cert test. Other than that the only reason I would see someone choose Net+ over ccent is maybe they do not want to go into cisco routing/switching, or someone just has enough money and time to be able to do both.
  • jagwirezjagwirez Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you don't have either, then I think CCENT is the way to go. For networking, a resume with Cisco goes further than one with CompTIA. However, if you get a CCENT, you will have no problem also getting the Network+. The Net+ is like gravy when compared to the CCENT.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Some jobs require N+. Other than that, no reason.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    I say CCENT
    you always find work
    in which I will tackle in due time ...
    it is the mail ...
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having done both I would say CCENT. Network+ will give you a foundation for CCENT.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To be honest, I haven't seen many job postings that asking for either. In fact, I'm not sure if I've ever seen CCENT listed. If all you want is a cert for a resume, I'd say to go Net+ because it's more widely recognized. However, if you want to get into networking specifically go for CCENT. But even then I'd say to go for CCNA and not the CCENT only.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my area I have never seen a job posting asking for CCENT.
    But most ask for Net+ or CCNA.

If you plan to choose between the ICND1 or Net+ and then go job hunting then I recommend the Net+.
    If you plan to get your CCNA anytime soon then forget Net+ and just do the CCENT.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Network+ is A+ with some network stuff
    thats it
    A+ material overlaps @ like 60% with Net+

CCENT is more core focused
    vs Network+ is more general focused

If someone takes CCENT it should have network+ knowledge
    I see network+ for people who dont know much about networks, printers n stuff
    meh