ping from console

urviurvi Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi
I am using PT 5.3.3.
1)Now,if I want a console connection to a router what connection type should i choose? Should I choose the blue cable and RS 232 port in the PC and Console port on the router?

2)And can I ping the router from that Console PC?

Comments

• bulkosbulkos Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi,

Yes you use light blue cable from serial on pc to console on router/switch

No, ICMP is needed in order to use ping,you need to connect Fa ports and have IPs configured.
  • p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi bulkos,
    Does it mean that the console cables dont support ICMP or IP?
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    p1xels wrote: »
    Hi bulkos,
    Does it mean that the console cables dont support ICMP or IP?

It is not the cable itself that supports or does not support ICMP/IP, it is the fact that the console interface does not have an IP address associated with it, and in this regard cannot be used as a destination.

To ping a device, you need to issue ping A where A is some host address or FQDN.

Here is one thing you can, however do- Use the console port to connect to the router, then assign an IP address to some loopback interface. Then ping the loopback interface. This will work because the loopback int has an IP address whereas the console port does not.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • bulkosbulkos Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I dont think that will work either.

TCP/IP is not supported on serial interface right? and ping wont be sent out of serial (RS 232) port i guess.

Only possibility seems to be a console into the router and ping loopback from router itself,but this is not what you want

I may be wrong but I was not able to ping it in PT.