Options

Degree choices

Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys I wanted to know compared to a regular MS in Cyber Security Engineering where does a San's Master's program stands? I am planning to go to the University of Washington (Bothell) for their master's program, and I was planning to do San's GIAC certs anyways so should I just do both? The certs from Sans and the degree From Bothell? I'm not sure what to do I don't mind doing both.

Comments

• Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Doing both is very very expensive. I understand the GI Bill does not apply to the SANS Masters - MSISE. Thast about 40000 Dollars for sure !

The other master I dont know about so no comments.

MSISE Break Up Sheet : https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9lMdGwYd7vVaHc5czdILWJFTmM/edit?usp=sharing

This sheet is not mine. It is from drackar from the TE Community so thanks to him !
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• Options
    I don't mean both in the sense of both degrees, but in the sense don't go for SANS degree, but just get the necessary certs I want from them, but still go for the Bothell Degree.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm sure the SANS program is good for learning certain skills, but last I checked it still was not regionally accredited. I just can't see recommending it to anyone, period, without being regionally accredited. It certainly isn't going to hold the weight in the industry you'd expect from a $40,000 master's degree. On that note, it's way too expensive, IMO. Just by comparison, an M.S. from the University of MN would cost closer to $21,000, and certainly carry a higher reputation in the industry.

If the SANS material really has you interested, in my opinion you would be better off foregoing the master's program in favor of just taking the cert-specific classes that interest you. If a degree is more in line with your goals, go for a degree with that in mind. University of Washington seems like a better choice, to that end.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Thanks for the Reply @ptilsen. That's what I thought because employers looks more degree, and I've heard Sans isn't accredited yet so I was kind of hesitant of choosing their program. So I think I'm going to end up just getting the degree while getting more certifications. I'm more interested in the degree than the certifications so if I only had to choose one I rather go for the degree.