frame relay broadcast handling

orange_badgerorange_badger Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
could someone please explain the concept of how frame relay can handle a broadcast . So far i know
  • frame relay dose not do broadcast's
  • the broadcast keyword must be used when doing static mapping to enable a static mapping be considered for broadcast
i guess to simplify my question ..

In frame relays default form i.e using inverse arp will frame relay not work with any routing protocols do the mappings have to be static to enable routing protocols to function correctly

furthermore say a packet received on the address 224.0.0.10 will it be sent out every interface that has been staticly configured with the broadcast keyword

Comments

• xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    could someone please explain the concept of how frame relay can handle a broadcast . So far i know
    • frame relay dose not do broadcast's
    • the broadcast keyword must be used when doing static mapping to enable a static mapping be considered for broadcast
    This is not necessarily true; from MY understanding P2P still forward multicasts as broadcasts.

i guess to simplify my question ..

In frame relays default form i.e using inverse arp will frame relay not work with any routing protocols do the mappings have to be static to enable routing protocols to function correctly - Depends on the Routing Protocol; you can also statically define neighbors with the routing protocol otherwise this would be correct (because you have to add the broadcast keyword).

furthermore say a packet received on the address 224.0.0.10 will it be sent out every interface that has been staticly configured with the broadcast keyword Correct; so if you had:

frame-relay map ip 10.0.0.1 101 broadcast
    frame-relay map ip 10.0.0.2 102 broadcast frame-relay map ip 10.0.0.3 103EIGRP packets will be forwarded to 10.0.0.1 & 10.0.0.2

See in quotes
  • orange_badgerorange_badger Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the reply that has helped
  • iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    It's worth noting that the broadcast keyword doesn't actually enable broadcasts....it enables pseudo-broadcasts. It basically takes broadcast and multicast traffic and puts it in a unicast packet to the other side.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk