Options

Government Contracting jobs

QuantumKnightQuantumKnight Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Has anyone worked in the government sector for IT? What is the culture like (stressful or mellow)? Are there pros and cons to having government contracts? I have a possible opportunity because of my security clearance, but I want to be in an environment where I can learn and grow without having to know everything I need when I start. I think I'm a hard worker but I do not want to feel pressured everyday or have someone breathing down my neck lol. Any information would be great. Thank you and have a great day.

Comments

• Options
    SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    I have worked 2 Government contracting jobs so take what I say with a grain of salt. With company one (DOD) I always busy but they left me alone to do my own thing, my supervisor was in her own office and all the techs had the cubicles a little ways down. It was pretty laid back.

Job number 2 (DHS and my current position) is extremly laid back, my bosses let me run around without supervision and let me take care of business. I always have projects assigned to me but they leave me the freedom to complete them how I see fit.

The only bad thing about help desk as a contractor there is no room to advance beyond a few positions.
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • Options
    QuantumKnightQuantumKnight Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the input. This position will be with Unix. I'm not sure if it will be more help desk related. Would you say that it is a good busy, as in productful days that make the time pass or stressful busy? I dont mind being busy as long as I'm getting the job done with quality work.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Every agency and every project will be different. Some are fairly laid back, while others have a lot going on and deadlines have to be met.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I've worked a few contract jobs for the gov (including my current position) and both have been pretty laid back. My gov bosses have largely left me alone to do my thing, and are very quick to get me any resources I might need.

That being said, I would say that YMMV when it comes to gov contracting jobs - it really depends on the agency and the specific unit you'd be working for. Some are more up tempo and high strung, others are very low key and easy going. It really just depends.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow