will it auto detect connection type

neolight90neolight90 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have connected my 870 router to my 2960 switch with a straight through cable, do I need to use a crossover cable instead as the router ports are switch ports on this type of router or will it auto detect type? Or do I need to set it?
Goals 2013: CCNET [ ] CCNA [ ] CCNP [ ]

Comments

• WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    Straight-through (aka patch cable) is the correct type.

Where you need crossover is when connecting similar devices:
    switch-switch
    router-router
    router-PC (since a router is considered a PC)
  • neolight90neolight90 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks I thought that but on CBT nuggets he said oh you need a crossover for a router with switchports to a switch setup
    Goals 2013: CCNET [ ] CCNA [ ] CCNP [ ]
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know about the 800 series, but for my home router, I use straight-through from the switchports to a PC. So, I would suspect that you would normally use a crossover. But, that said, I believe the 2960 will autodetect that its connected to another switch via a straight-through cable and change the pins it transmits on.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    Yeah something like autodetect is a relatively "new" feature on network gear, but what the CCNA teaches is the traditional or "old" way.
    When you connect the switch to workstations, servers, routers, and Cisco IP Phones, be sure that the cable is a straight-through cable. When you connect the switch to switches or hubs, use a crossover cable.
    Source: Catalyst 2960 Switch Hardware Installation Guide - Product Overview* [Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems

The bottom line is while autodetection is great in the real world, you can't rely on it to always work on every device. For the purposes of the CCNA exam, you should know the traditional definition for proper cabling.
  • xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    If your waiting for MDIX to work correctly, you may be waiting for awhile.