configuring My first router

tasman35tasman35 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

First off I would LIke to say How Great it is to find a fourm that is Helping newbies as my self.

Ok ..I setting up For the first time my lab I have 3x2600 routers and 3x2950 swiches.

It was a kit i got online and came with a lab book that i would like to work with...

Now on the first lab its telling me to config router #1 great

hostname r1
enab pass cisco
line vty 0 4
pass cisco
login
int s0

Int s0 Incomplete command.

Not sure where to go from here is it a typo or what?

Thanks tasman35icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Here is a hint: The question mark is your friend.

Try int s0?
    tasman35 wrote: »
    Hello All,

First off I would LIke to say How Great it is to find a fourm that is Helping newbies as my self.

Ok ..I setting up For the first time my lab I have 3x2600 routers and 3x2950 swiches.

It was a kit i got online and came with a lab book that i would like to work with...

Now on the first lab its telling me to config router #1 great

hostname r1
    enab pass cisco
    line vty 0 4
    pass cisco
    login
    int s0

Int s0 Incomplete command.

Not sure where to go from here is it a typo or what?

Thanks tasman35icon_confused.gif:
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • tasman35tasman35 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Vask3n wrote: »
    Here is a hint: The question mark is your friend.

Try int s0?

int s0?

Unrecongized command
  • subsooner711subsooner711 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You need to snatch up a good CCNA book.

Amazon.com: ccna
    You need to snatch up a good CCNA book.

Amazon.com: ccna

I have Todd Lammle's ccna 640-802
    and also cisco press 200-120

Just not that far into doing labls?

JUst kinda wanted to have the routers and switches setup and talking? sorry for asking...will look for my info somewhere on another forum...But thanks...

Guess Im just dumb...
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    I just looked at your commands again, are you trying to get into interface s0 from within line config mode? that might be the problem
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try int s0/0 and int s0/0/0

I believe the 1-number format only applies to the 2500 Series of routers. My 1700 series use the 2-number format and I'll have to check, but I believe my ISRs (2811 and 2821) both use the 3-number format
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try this, from your router prompt:
    Router#show ip interface brief
    This will show you all the interfaces that are in your router. If you have a serial interface installed, it may be listed differently than S0.

hth
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @tasman35 - look at the back of the router itself. If you have a serial interface it is usually labeled Serial 0, Serial 1, etc. If the router has a physical serial interface then proceed as Ltat42a advised to find out its designation.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    @tasman35 - look at the back of the router itself. If you have a serial interface it is usually labeled Serial 0, Serial 1, etc. If the router has a physical serial interface then proceed as Ltat42a advised to find out its designation.

The 2500 series I believe is labelled that way. Modular routers, I seem to remember are labelled "Slot 0", "Slot 1", etc...He would need to look for a WIC-1T, WIC-1DSU-T1, etc...installed in one of those slots or possibly in an NM Slot in the case of the NM-4A/S, NM-8A/S, etc...

show ip interface brief would be the fastest way to list all his interfaces, except I believe VWICs/VICs, which would likely only be found in a Voice Router anyway.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    @theodoxa - the serial ports on the WIC-2T, NM-4A/S and NM-8A/S are labeled Serial 0, Serial 1, etc. The port on the WIC-IT has the word Serial written next to it. Granted it could also be a WIC-1DSU-T1 etc, but the OP needs to know what serial ports actually look like, don't you think?

In a home lab situation, to me, it's a lot quicker to look at a router to see if you have a serial port than to go to the IOS.
    Ltat42a wrote: »
    Try this, from your router prompt:
    Router#show ip interface brief
    This will show you all the interfaces that are in your router. If you have a serial interface installed, it may be listed differently than S0.

hth

fastethernet0/0
    serial0/0
    fastethernet0/1
    serial0/1
  • iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    tasman35 wrote: »
    fastethernet0/0
    serial0/0
    fastethernet0/1
    serial0/1

You don't have an interface called s0. You need to do your config on s0/0 or s0/1, depending on which one you cable up.

Vask3n wrote: »
    I just looked at your commands again, are you trying to get into interface s0 from within line config mode? that might be the problem

That doesn't matter. IOS would take you straight from line config mode to interface config mode, there's no need to go back to global config mode before you jump into another config mode. It would stop the ? from working though - though it would likely give unrecognised command rather than incomplete command.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
    iamme4eva wrote: »
    IOS would take you straight from line config mode to interface config mode, there's no need to go back to global config mode before you jump into another config mode.

I am trying to remember if that is allowed on the exam or you have to use the end/exit commands. Just like Cisco doesn't allow the do command in the CCNA/CCENT.
  • SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I could have sworn I used do in my test, but I could be wrong. It's been a while now and I tend to not want to drop back to enable mode just to show things. I do know that moving from one interface to the other as you would on a live router is allowed.

OP - I agree with some of the other posters - get yourself a good CCNA book and learn the basics. Just typing commands without knowing what they mean (especially the short versions) might build muscle memory, but you would have a better idea of why your simple navigation commands aren't working.

Interface # is a command that takes you into configuration for that individual interface. I would have expected "invalid input detected at xxx" rather than "incomplete command" but I don't have access to that specific router so it might just be different.
  • iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    I am trying to remember if that is allowed on the exam or you have to use the end/exit commands. Just like Cisco doesn't allow the do command in the CCNA/CCENT.

Now you've got me questioning. I'm 99% I did it on my NP level exams. Only because I'd remember if I didn't - I never use exit, so I'd have been frustrated having to remember to do it in the exam! The NA exams were a little while ago, but so I can't be sure.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
    iamme4eva wrote: »
    You don't have an interface called s0. You need to do your config on s0/0 or s0/1, depending on which one you cable up.

That doesn't matter. IOS would take you straight from line config mode to interface config mode, there's no need to go back to global config mode before you jump into another config mode. It would stop the ? from working though - though it would likely give unrecognised command rather than incomplete command.

THanks for the info I did get it to work I had to use s0/0 and s0/1 Im guessing that how you config the wic cards...
    icon_cheers.gif