Options

Failed ICND1 on 7/12 - 799/804 - Need Advice

rsgunterrsgunter Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
All,Long time lurker here, but I feel it's finally time to post, and ask for help.I took my ICND1 Friday, and I really thought I was prepared. However, apparently I was only prepared for 3 subjects. :)If you were me, what would you do if this was your result? It's hard to tell exactly how the categorizations work, and to be honest I can't remember any specific examples of me going "Yup, absolutely missed that one."I would love to sit again this Friday, as I don't want any information to leave my head. :)Good idea? Advice?

UPDATE - Thanks to those of you that replied, I was able to pass!

I took down my scores (I realized I probably shouldn't post them), but I should say they were greatly improved. Much of that would be going through Odom's book more thoroughly. :) Also, the exam jitters were far less intense this time around, and I was able to focus on the questions rather than lowering my heart rate, haha.

Comments

• Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    If you check out the official exam objectives they will have breakdowns for the different sections:

640-822 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

Click the Exam Topics tab.

For example here is the breakdown for Describe the operation of data networks

Describe the operation of data networks.

Describe the purpose and functions of various network devices
    Select the components required to meet a given network specification
    Use the OSI and TCP/IP models and their associated protocols to explain how data flows in a network
    Describe common networking applications including web applications
    Describe the purpose and basic operation of the protocols in the OSI and TCP models
    Describe the impact of applications (Voice Over IP and Video Over IP) on a network
    Interpret network diagrams
    Determine the path between two hosts across a network
    Describe the components required for network and Internet communications
    Identify and correct common network problems at layers 1, 2, 3 and 7 using a layered model approach
    Differentiate between LAN/WAN operation and features

You got a very close score so if you hone in on those areas you did not do as well on you should be in good shape next time.
    Good luck
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you don't mind me asking, what materials did you use to prepare?
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    Trancender, and Paul Browning CCNA in 60 Days. Little Odom in there as well.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My advice to you is to hit all of the areas you scored the lowest on, and lab where needed. You were close.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I agree with LinuxRacr. But also review the area's that you got %100 so you won't forget that stuff.

I'm sure you'll pass it the next time.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "Describe the Operation of a Data Network" is I believe stuff like what is the source/destination MAC Address/IP Address of a packet as it enters/leaves a certain port on a certain device, what protocol would you use, what port does a certain protocol use, etc...I would study up on TCP vs. UDP and most importantly how to determine the source/destination address of a Frame or Packet as it passes through the network. Make sure to memorize the most common TCP/UDP Port Numbers. Telnet, DNS, TFTP, and HTTP come to mind.

BTW, I didn't do well the WAN section also, which is odd. I only remember 2 WAN questions I had issues with, though one of them was a Simlet which might have been worth more points. But, I did well enough on the rest that it didn't matter. If you can bring up your scores on "Describe a Data Network" and Switching, you should be able to pass easily [as long as the rest of your scores stay the same or better.]
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    shellee1983shellee1983 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That is a close score. Can I ask how you did on the simulators? That's what killed me last time. It seems like the areas you scored lowest in involved the sims and output. Good luck.
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Operation of Data Networks is usually TCP/IP related stuff. TCP, UDP, ARP etc... study those again.
    Implement a small switched network. You're probably having trouble with how switches actually work, how and when they either, flood, filter or foward frames, and out which ports. Also the mac-address table.
  • Options
    Z3-MasterdZ3-Masterd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try to get your hands on Lammle from the library or in PDF format, and go over the topics you know you missed. With such a close score, I'd encourage you to sit it again soon. Doesn't seem like you will need too much time to study.
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try a couple of good practice tests, they'll get you in the testing mindset while helping you discover weaknesses.
  • Options
    Thanks so much guys, all of that helped. I'm going to study and make my decision by Thursday if I want to sit again Friday, or wait another week.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    rsgunter wrote: »
    Trancender, and Paul Browning CCNA in 60 Days. Little Odom in there as well.

I'd change that to a lot of Odom. Front to back with lots of labbing.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□

have to agree with this comment when comparing Odom to Browning. If you get bored of Odom you should try reading Router Alley's CCNA book or Chris Bryant.Both excellent sources. These sources will be enough to get you up to passing.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options

I've noticed that Odom is more deep. I think considering I was nailing practice exams that I would be okay, but when just skimming over Odom's booked I've picked up a lost of missed, or unknown topics, to add to my arsenal for the test.

Good call, sir.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I read the paul browning book and didn't like it at all.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    I read the paul browning book and didn't like it at all.

Not read that one but have seen other stuff by him.
    What specifically didn't you like about his be a ccna in 60days or whatever it is called?
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used it for CCENT and am continuing with it for the ICND2 - but what it's really good for is structuring your studies. I matched it up to the appropriate Odom chapters and sailed through ICND1 without any trouble. If you can stick to the plan - do the browning stuff and then spend the rest of your time on Odom, you should be fine. I'd say 95% of the lessons in the Browning plan as written aren't going to take the recommended 2 hours a day - that makes it easy to continue the in-depth experience with the Odom book.